POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fog and Sky Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:14 EDT (-0400)
  Fog and Sky (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: wollinger
Subject: Fog and Sky
Date: 8 Apr 2006 13:40:01
Message: <web.4437f51ba6770f53e5847db0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I have a beginners Question on fog and sky handling:

I want to render a landscape in a rectangular geographic systen. That means
that I have "translate < 419020, 0, 279020>" for my height_field, camera
and so on. Do I also have to translate my sky and the fog? At least for the
fog I get an warning that I can't translate the up vector. It seems that I
dont have to do it for the fog but I get a sharp edge in the horizont where
the fog ends. Is there a way to have ground fog and a blue sky?

tnx
Wolfgang

my code for fog and sky:

// fog on the ground -------------
fog { fog_type   2
      //translate Fog_Center
      distance   7500
      color      rgbt <1,1,1,0.6>
      fog_offset 700
      fog_alt    100
    }

sky_sphere{
        //pigment {planar colour_map{[0,rgb <0.9,0.9,1>][1, rgb
<0.1,0.2,1>]}}
        pigment{P_Cloud4}
        //pigment {rgbt <1.0,1.0,1.0,(1-clock)>}
        //pigment {rgbt <1.0,1.0,1.0,0>}
        scale 2 //avoid repetion

        }

Post a reply to this message

wollinger nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08/04/2006 13:38:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a beginners Question on fog and sky handling:
>
> I want to render a landscape in a rectangular geographic systen. That means
> that I have "translate < 419020, 0, 279020>" for my height_field, camera
> and so on. Do I also have to translate my sky and the fog? At least for the
> fog I get an warning that I can't translate the up vector. It seems that I
> dont have to do it for the fog but I get a sharp edge in the horizont where
> the fog ends. Is there a way to have ground fog and a blue sky?
>
> tnx
> Wolfgang
>
> my code for fog and sky:
>
> // fog on the ground -------------
> fog { fog_type   2
>       //translate Fog_Center
>       distance   7500
>       color      rgbt <1,1,1,0.6>
>       fog_offset 700
>       fog_alt    100
>     }
>
> sky_sphere{
>         //pigment {planar colour_map{[0,rgb <0.9,0.9,1>][1, rgb
> <0.1,0.2,1>]}}
>         pigment{P_Cloud4}
>         //pigment {rgbt <1.0,1.0,1.0,(1-clock)>}
>         //pigment {rgbt <1.0,1.0,1.0,0>}
>         scale 2 //avoid repetion
>
>         }

You don't translate a sky_sphere. It's a background pigment applyed to a unit sphere
centered around
the camera. If a ray don't encounter any object, it's reported on that sphere.
What you see at the horizon, is not the end of the fog but the end of your plane. You
can try adding
a filtering or plain fog with a greater distance (like 8000 to 9000), smaller
fog_offset (like 70 or
less) and fog_alt (like 20 or less). When you use a transmiting fog with a transmit
value of 0.6,
you always get AT LEAST 60% of the background.
you can also place a plane just under your hight_field with a pattern similar to that
of the
hight_field.

--
Alain
A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob H
Date: 8 Apr 2006 18:35:17
Message: <44383aa5$1@news.povray.org>
"wollinger" <wol### [at] gmznet> wrote in message

> a sharp edge in the horizon where the fog ends.
> Is there a way to have ground fog and a blue sky?

I'm not able to see what you are describing. Are you wanting the fog to have
the transmit 0.6? That obviously makes the fog show sky from below because a
ground plane doesn't exist and a line appears on the horizon, yet it remains
fuzzy not sharp in my rendering of your script.

If I move the camera upward, yes, a sharp horizon line appears. However, you
didn't mention any vertical translation.

To keep the fog from getting too far away, which causes a thinning horizon
line, use something like this:

sphere {0,10000 inverse pigment {rgbt 1} translate <419020, 0, 279020>}

Size might be different from what you actually use.

If I add a ground plane, substitute for a HF for example, I get a sharp line
in the fog unless I drop the ground a considerable distance or raise the
camera. Guess what I'm saying is that I'm not understanding your question
with regards to the sharp horizon line you're able to see there.