POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : cutting irregular holes?! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  cutting irregular holes?! (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: GreyBeard
Subject: Re: cutting irregular holes?!
Date: 14 Sep 2004 19:11:07
Message: <41477a8b$1@news.povray.org>
"frozen" <fro### [at] thefrozenno-ipcom> wrote in message
> "GreyBeard" <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> >
> Correct me, if I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to create archs with a
> sharp upper end? I mean: It somehow looks like the intersection of a
> cylinder and a box, as you also suggest. This doesn't exactly do, what I
> want (sorry if my poor english made me explain it in a way that is not
> understandable). The first answer I received used two cylinders and a box
> and did exactly what was required. I tried to do this with Moray and it
> works..
>
> Thanks for your answer! I'm surprised how many people answer newbie
> questions here! It's great!

I have done it by generating an arch, then clipping it in Y, but it's clumsy
and the keystone has to be generated separately.  There's probably some
better way to do it, but my math is especially weak in knowing how to define
things as required.

The strongest point about POV-Ray isn't the program itself, but the
fantastic amount of help that's available.  Almost anything you want to do
with it, someone has probably already written code and made it available,
usually as a freebie.  As I don't look for photo quality in my renders, just
something better than what I can get with a 3d CAD, I'm always pleased with
the results.  Others have proved that photo quality is possible, I might get
to that point, but I might also die first.

Time spent in browsing the utilities sections, links, will prove to cut the
workload dramatically.  Many thanks to those that have made the code
available.

Greybeard

Post a reply to this message

From: frozen
Date: 15 Sep 2004 13:30:00
Message: <web.41487bdd732004dc7d3d52eb0@news.povray.org>
"GreyBeard" <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> [...] There's probably some
> better way to do it, but my math is especially weak in knowing how to define
> things as required.

The math is one of my major problem when it comes to rendering.. This is one
of the most important things, I will have to learn...

> [...]
> Time spent in browsing the utilities sections, links, will prove to cut the
> workload dramatically.  Many thanks to those that have made the code
> available.
>
> Greybeard

I agree in that point! Thanks to everybody, who shares his work!
I think, I should spent much more time searching for helping code and tools!

Thanks to everybody who answered! I hope, that one day I will be able to
answer your questions.. ;-)

frozen

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 20 Sep 2004 22:17:07
Message: <414f8f23@news.povray.org>
frozen nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-09-14 05:59... :

>Dear Mike,
>
>thanks a lot for this hint! It is quite hard to do it this way with Moray,
>since it seems to have problems when the scene gets "full" (objects are
>invisible, if another object is behind (!) them).. But it works great, once
>it works! I hope, it is possible, to fill the cut area with some other CSGs
>and primitives, to build the window glass pieces... At these ages, it
>wasn't possible to create large glass pieces, to fill a complete window
>with one piece... I'm afraid, this will be my next question.
>
>I'm afraid, I will have to do my scene in pure Povray code, since I finished
>approx. 10% of it and Moray already has problems.. This might be the death
>of my idea.. :-(
>
>Thankful greetings,
>
>frozen

To fill up your window, I'd start with a simple box with a glass texture
and ior, with possibly some normal perturbations. Then, I use narow and
long boxes or cylinders to make the window's framework. Those can
probably exeede the size of the window, as they'll be hiden inside the
surrounding wall, unless you want to open the window.

Alain