POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : cutting irregular holes?! : Re: cutting irregular holes?! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cutting irregular holes?!
From: GreyBeard
Date: 14 Sep 2004 19:11:07
Message: <41477a8b$1@news.povray.org>
"frozen" <fro### [at] thefrozenno-ipcom> wrote in message
> "GreyBeard" <r.b### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> >
> Correct me, if I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to create archs with a
> sharp upper end? I mean: It somehow looks like the intersection of a
> cylinder and a box, as you also suggest. This doesn't exactly do, what I
> want (sorry if my poor english made me explain it in a way that is not
> understandable). The first answer I received used two cylinders and a box
> and did exactly what was required. I tried to do this with Moray and it
> works..
>
> Thanks for your answer! I'm surprised how many people answer newbie
> questions here! It's great!

I have done it by generating an arch, then clipping it in Y, but it's clumsy
and the keystone has to be generated separately.  There's probably some
better way to do it, but my math is especially weak in knowing how to define
things as required.

The strongest point about POV-Ray isn't the program itself, but the
fantastic amount of help that's available.  Almost anything you want to do
with it, someone has probably already written code and made it available,
usually as a freebie.  As I don't look for photo quality in my renders, just
something better than what I can get with a 3d CAD, I'm always pleased with
the results.  Others have proved that photo quality is possible, I might get
to that point, but I might also die first.

Time spent in browsing the utilities sections, links, will prove to cut the
workload dramatically.  Many thanks to those that have made the code
available.

Greybeard