POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools (Message 1 to 10 of 47)
From: CFM
Subject: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
Date: 12 May 2004 13:05:00
Message: <web.40a2582a38fc4d801a36c3040@news.povray.org>
If I go to Tools and click on something like Edit Master POVRAY.ini, I get a
Tool Error window saying, "Could not run program." What's wrong?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Subject: Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
Date: 12 May 2004 13:55:12
Message: <vw6HyAA1TmoAFw9Q@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it CFM who wrote:
>If I go to Tools and click on something like Edit Master POVRAY.ini, I get a
>Tool Error window saying, "Could not run program." What's wrong?

(In the absence of any contrary indication, I'll assume you're using
Windows.) Is it possible that the copy of notepad.exe on your machine
has been deleted, moved or otherwise made inaccessible?. Windows POVRay
invokes Notepad for the "Edit <something>" options in the Tools menu.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> (In the absence of any contrary indication, I'll assume you're using
> Windows.) Is it possible that the copy of notepad.exe on your machine
> has been deleted, moved or otherwise made inaccessible?. Windows POVRay
> invokes Notepad for the "Edit <something>" options in the Tools menu.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Yep, I'm using Windows. I still have notepad.exe. I don't know if it's been
moved or otherwise made inaccessible. I used Notepad to access the POV-ray
for Windows v3.5 directory, and clicked on the pvengine. All I see is the
following, inexplicable babble:

[Permitted Input Paths]
1=%INSTALLDIR%
2=C:WINDOWSFonts

[Permitted Output Paths]
1=%INSTALLDIR%RendererReRun
2=%INSTALLDIR%Insert Menu

[General]
BigSplash=1084385996
RunCount=111
TextColour=16777215
BackgroundColour=13160664
DropToEditor=1
LastRenderName=billiards.pov
LastRenderPath=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenes
LastQueuePath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5SCENES
LastBitmapName=*.bmp
LastBitmapPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5TILES
CommandLine=-A
LastINIPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5renderer
SecondaryINIFile=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5RENDERERQUICKRES.INI
SecondaryINISection=[640x480, No AA]
BackgroundFile=0
SaveSettingsOnExit=1
TileBackground=1
UseFileTemplate=1
HideNewUserHelp=0
CheckNewVersion=1
CheckNews=1
SendSystemInfo=1
Version=3.5.icl.win32
ItsAboutTime=1085509112

[Editor]
LastPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5SCENESOBJECTS

[LastRender]
HistogramFile=
OutputFile=C:POVimagesbilliards.bmp
CurrentDirectory=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenes
SourceFile=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenesbilliards.pov
SceneFile=billiards
IniOutputFile=

[Info]
Rendering=0
RenderCompleteSound=1

[ToolBar]
Band0Width=555
Band1Width=32
Band2Width=123
Band3Width=150
Band4Width=104
Band5Width=425

[MainWindow]
ShowCmd=1
NormalPositionLeft=353
NormalPositionTop=-4
NormalPositionRight=854
NormalPositionBottom=764
Priority=2280
UseToolbar=1
UseTooltips=1

[RenderWindow]
NormalPositionX=376
NormalPositionY=38
Flags=536870912
Use8BitMode=0
MakeActive=1
KeepAboveMain=1
HideWhenMainMinimized=1
AutoClose=0
PreserveBitmap=1

[Messages]
FontSize=8
FontWeight=400
Font=Lucida Console
KeepMessages=1

[Renderer]
AlertSound=64
Completion=2255
Priority=2305
DutyCycle=9
AlertOnCompletion=1
AutoRender=1
NoShelloutWait=0
SystemNoActive=0

[TipOfTheDay]
Enabled=1
LastTipTime=1084386002
NextTip=18

[GUIExtensions]
UseExtensions=1

[MainWindows]
UseRenderAnim=0

[Scripting]
ReadWriteSourceDir=1
NoShellOuts=1

Is Notepad supposed to be in the same directory as POV-ray for Windows v3.5?

Post a reply to this message

CFM nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/12 14:26... :

>>(In the absence of any contrary indication, I'll assume you're using
>>Windows.) Is it possible that the copy of notepad.exe on your machine
>>has been deleted, moved or otherwise made inaccessible?. Windows POVRay
>>invokes Notepad for the "Edit <something>" options in the Tools menu.
>>
>>--
>>Mike Williams
>>Gentleman of Leisure
>>

>Yep, I'm using Windows. I still have notepad.exe. I don't know if it's been
>moved or otherwise made inaccessible. I used Notepad to access the POV-ray
>for Windows v3.5 directory, and clicked on the pvengine. All I see is the
>following, inexplicable babble:
>
>[Permitted Input Paths]
>1=%INSTALLDIR%
>2=C:WINDOWSFonts???
>
>[Permitted Output Paths]
>1=%INSTALLDIR%RendererReRun???
>2=%INSTALLDIR%Insert Menu
>
>[General]
>BigSplash=1084385996
>RunCount=111
>TextColour=16777215
>BackgroundColour=13160664
>DropToEditor=1
>LastRenderName=billiards.pov
>LastRenderPath=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenes???
>LastQueuePath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5SCENES???
>LastBitmapName=*.bmp
>LastBitmapPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5TILES???
>CommandLine=-A
>LastINIPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5renderer???
>SecondaryINIFile=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5RENDERERQUICKRES.INI???
>SecondaryINISection=[640x480, No AA]
>BackgroundFile=0
>SaveSettingsOnExit=1
>TileBackground=1
>UseFileTemplate=1
>HideNewUserHelp=0
>CheckNewVersion=1
>CheckNews=1
>SendSystemInfo=1
>Version=3.5.icl.win32
>ItsAboutTime=1085509112
>
>[Editor]
>LastPath=C:PROGRAM FILESPOV-RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.5SCENESOBJECTS???
>
>[LastRender]
>HistogramFile=
>OutputFile=C:POVimagesbilliards.bmp???
>CurrentDirectory=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenes???
>SourceFile=C:Program FilesPOV-Ray for Windows v3.5scenesbilliards.pov???

Where are the "\"?

>SceneFile=billiards
>IniOutputFile=
><snip>
>Is Notepad supposed to be in the same directory as POV-ray for Windows v3.5?

No. Notepad need to be in it's normal, default, location, or somewhere
where windows can find it: ie.:it's in the system path.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 12 May 2004 19:15:00
Message: <web.40a2aede27c58a6aa2bcb8fb0@news.povray.org>
> Where are the ""?
>
> >SceneFile=billiards
> >IniOutputFile=
> ><snip>
> >Is Notepad supposed to be in the same directory as POV-ray for Windows v3.5?
> >

> No. Notepad need to be in it's normal, default, location, or somewhere
> where windows can find it: ie.:it's in the system path.
>
> Alain

I don't understand your question. Also, I'm just trying to access the Edit
Master POVRAY.ini in the tools menu with no luck. I have notepad on the
desktop, but the POV program comes up with an error every time I try to
click on Edit Master POVRAY.ini.

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 12 May 2004 19:20:00
Message: <web.40a2b0db27c58a6aa2bcb8fb0@news.povray.org>
Oh, and I have just accessed the pvtools using Notepad. It has the
following:

[Menu]
Item0=Edit &master POVRAY.INI
Item1=Edit PVEN&GINE.INI
Item2=Edit &last rendered file
Item3=Edit last &scene file
Item4=&View last rendered file
Item5=View &histogram image file
Item6=Edit resolution &INI file
Item7=Edit &this menu.

[Command]
# NOTE! If using the Shell Open command ($S), DO NOT quote the parameters
with '"'
Item0=notepad.exe "%hrendererpovray.ini"
Item1=notepad.exe "%hinipvengine.ini"
Item2=notepad.exe "%r"
Item3=notepad.exe "%0"
Item4=$S %1
Item5=$S %3
Item6=notepad.exe "%n"
Item7=notepad.exe "%t"

[Help]
Item0=Edit master POVRAY.INI in installation directory
Item1=Edit PVENGINE.INI in installation directory
Item2=Edit the last file that POV-Ray was rendering
Item3=Edit the last scene file that you selected
Item4=View the output of the last render (assumes file output was on)
Item5=View the histogram of the last render (assumes histogram image output
was on)
Item6=Edit secondary INI file as specified in Command-line dialog
Item7=Edit PVTOOLS.INI to alter this menu

[General]
Debug=0

Is there something I change in here?

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 12 May 2004 20:05:00
Message: <web.40a2bb8827c58a6aa2bcb8fb0@news.povray.org>
Also, someone suggested I use TMPGEnc-2... as a program for animations. How
much does it cover? Does it put the files together AND play them back? I've
been using POVTICK statements that don't work in POV-ray for my computer.
The program doesn't appear to recognize the % sign.

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 13 May 2004 16:15:00
Message: <web.40a3d6f127c58a6a51067a1e0@news.povray.org>
OK, I managed to solve the Tools menu problem by dragging the Notepad into
the bin folder in the POV-ray for Windows v3.5 directory. Still, I don't
know if TMPGE nc-2.5.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 13 May 2004 16:52:42
Message: <o0o7a0hh732j76t00s9au37b4a8lrku26b@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:13:37 EDT, "CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>Still, I don't
>know if TMPGE nc-2.5.

Hi, CFM
TMPGEnc will create a MPEG which is a common movie format and save it
to the directory you want. It will not play them back. You will need
to use Windows Media Player or something else. It is easy to use, when
you browse for the files just double click in the first one of the
series and it will select them all. You can change the compression
settings if you want. Like most programmes it takes some time to get
experience but you can just accept the default settings till you want
to experiment.
You could use VideoMach to create your movie
http://gromada.com/download.html
When VideoMach creates the movie it automatically plays it in Windows
Media Player. One thing to point out VideoMach is when you select the
files you must select them from the last to the first. E.g. 100 to
001.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: CFM
Date: 13 May 2004 16:55:00
Message: <web.40a3e00127c58a6a51067a1e0@news.povray.org>
"CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> OK, I managed to solve the Tools menu problem by dragging the Notepad into
> the bin folder in the POV-ray for Windows v3.5 directory. Still, I don't
> know if TMPGE nc-2.5.

Oops, let me correct that last sentence. I meant to say that I don't know if
TMPGE nc-2.5 covers putting the individual images together and playing them
the way a combination of animtxt, playflc, and povtick would do.