POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ingraving Text Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Ingraving Text (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Master Xan
Subject: Ingraving Text
Date: 5 May 2004 10:25:01
Message: <web.4098f88ef7b95717a81507220@news.povray.org>
Hey, just started using this program... I'm trying to make a logo for a
website, and I want an engraved sword... I'm learning how to make the
sword, but I can't seem to get anything with engraved text... I checked the
documentation, I saw something with a difference tag, but couldn't get it
working... any suggestions?

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, just started using this program... I'm trying to make a logo for a
> website, and I want an engraved sword... I'm learning how to make the
> sword, but I can't seem to get anything with engraved text... I checked
the
> documentation, I saw something with a difference tag, but couldn't get it
> working... any suggestions?

First off, welcome to povray. second, using True Type Fonts in scenes can
become slow, especially with difference. Difference is what you want to do,
you were right on that point.

basically, what you do is this

difference {
   object {my_sword}
   object {my_text]
}

you may want to try with simple object at first if you havn't. for instance

difference {
   /* object to cut into */
   box {
      <1, 1, 1>, <-1, -1, -1>
      pigment {rgb <0, 0, 1>}
   }
   /* this box cuts a square shaped hole all the way through the above box
*/
   box {
      <.5, 2, .5>, <-.5, -2, -.5>
      pigment {rgb <1, .5, 0>}
   }
   rotate 45*y
   translate <0, 1, 0>
}

the important part is making sure that the object that does the cutting
actually comes into contact with the object you want to cut into. It is
sometimes useful to use "union" in that testing phase (so you actually see
where the cutting object is), then replace the union keyword with difference
when you have it in the right place.

what specific problems are you encountering?

Post a reply to this message

"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> "Master Xan" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hey, just started using this program... I'm trying to make a logo for a
> > website, and I want an engraved sword... I'm learning how to make the
> > sword, but I can't seem to get anything with engraved text... I checked
> the
> > documentation, I saw something with a difference tag, but couldn't get it
> > working... any suggestions?
> >

> First off, welcome to povray. second, using True Type Fonts in scenes can
> become slow, especially with difference. Difference is what you want to do,
> you were right on that point.
>
> basically, what you do is this
>
> difference {
>    object {my_sword}
>    object {my_text]
> }
>
> you may want to try with simple object at first if you havn't. for instance
>
> difference {
>    /* object to cut into */
>    box {
>       <1, 1, 1>, <-1, -1, -1>
>       pigment {rgb <0, 0, 1>}
>    }
>    /* this box cuts a square shaped hole all the way through the above box
> */
>    box {
>       <.5, 2, .5>, <-.5, -2, -.5>
>       pigment {rgb <1, .5, 0>}
>    }
>    rotate 45*y
>    translate <0, 1, 0>
> }
>
> the important part is making sure that the object that does the cutting
> actually comes into contact with the object you want to cut into. It is
> sometimes useful to use "union" in that testing phase (so you actually see
> where the cutting object is), then replace the union keyword with difference
> when you have it in the right place.
>
> what specific problems are you encountering?

Well, I can't get all the words visable beyond the cone I'm trying to use
(kinda looks like a sword if you can't see the ends, I'll replace it
later). I think it's because I can't get the text to slant (the cone goes
from 0 Z to 3 Z, but the text won't start at 0 Z and end at 3 Z)

On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy them
from the website?

Post a reply to this message

Master Xan nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/05 16:34... :

>"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
>

>>"Master Xan" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>>

>>>Hey, just started using this program... I'm trying to make a logo for a
>>>website, and I want an engraved sword... I'm learning how to make the
>>>sword, but I can't seem to get anything with engraved text... I checked
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>documentation, I saw something with a difference tag, but couldn't get it
>>>working... any suggestions?
>>>

>>First off, welcome to povray. second, using True Type Fonts in scenes can
>>become slow, especially with difference. Difference is what you want to do,
>>you were right on that point.
>>
>>basically, what you do is this
>>
>>difference {
>>   object {my_sword}
>>   object {my_text]
>>}
>>
>>you may want to try with simple object at first if you havn't. for instance
>>
>>difference {
>>   /* object to cut into */
>>   box {
>>      <1, 1, 1>, <-1, -1, -1>
>>      pigment {rgb <0, 0, 1>}
>>   }
>>   /* this box cuts a square shaped hole all the way through the above box
>>*/
>>   box {
>>      <.5, 2, .5>, <-.5, -2, -.5>
>>      pigment {rgb <1, .5, 0>}
>>   }
>>   rotate 45*y
>>   translate <0, 1, 0>
>>}
>>
>>the important part is making sure that the object that does the cutting
>>actually comes into contact with the object you want to cut into. It is
>>sometimes useful to use "union" in that testing phase (so you actually see
>>where the cutting object is), then replace the union keyword with difference
>>when you have it in the right place.
>>
>>what specific problems are you encountering?
>>

>Well, I can't get all the words visable beyond the cone I'm trying to use
>(kinda looks like a sword if you can't see the ends, I'll replace it
>later). I think it's because I can't get the text to slant (the cone goes
>from 0 Z to 3 Z, but the text won't start at 0 Z and end at 3 Z)
>
>On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
>pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy them
>from the website?

You can rotate the text around any axis. So, assuming your "sword" sit
along the x axis, with the small end on the right, rotate your text by
-1 to -5 on the y axis like "rotate -2*y". you may need to translate
along the z axis. Some trigonometry can give you the exact angle. The
origin of your text is completely to the left front of the first letter
on the base line of the text (text goes up and right from the origin
point and is extruded back)

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: stephen parkinson
Date: 6 May 2004 00:32:27
Message: <4099bfdb$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> Master Xan nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/05 16:34... :
>
>> "Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
>>

>>> "Master Xan" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message

>>> the

>>> First off, welcome to povray. second, using True Type Fonts in scenes
>>> can
>>> become slow, especially with difference. Difference is what you want
>>> to do,
>>> you were right on that point.
>>>
>>> basically, what you do is this
>>>
>>> difference {
>>>   object {my_sword}
>>>   object {my_text]
>>> }
>>>
>>> you may want to try with simple object at first if you havn't. for
>>> instance
>>>
>>> difference {
>>>   /* object to cut into */
>>>   box {
>>>      <1, 1, 1>, <-1, -1, -1>
>>>      pigment {rgb <0, 0, 1>}
>>>   }
>>>   /* this box cuts a square shaped hole all the way through the above
>>> box
>>> */
>>>   box {
>>>      <.5, 2, .5>, <-.5, -2, -.5>
>>>      pigment {rgb <1, .5, 0>}
>>>   }
>>>   rotate 45*y
>>>   translate <0, 1, 0>
>>> }
>>>
>>> the important part is making sure that the object that does the cutting
>>> actually comes into contact with the object you want to cut into. It is
>>> sometimes useful to use "union" in that testing phase (so you
>>> actually see
>>> where the cutting object is), then replace the union keyword with
>>> difference
>>> when you have it in the right place.
>>>
>>> what specific problems are you encountering?
>>>

>> Well, I can't get all the words visable beyond the cone I'm trying to use
>> (kinda looks like a sword if you can't see the ends, I'll replace it
>> later). I think it's because I can't get the text to slant (the cone goes
>> from 0 Z to 3 Z, but the text won't start at 0 Z and end at 3 Z)
>>
>> On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
>> pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy
>> them
>> from the website?
>>

> You can rotate the text around any axis. So, assuming your "sword" sit
> along the x axis, with the small end on the right, rotate your text by
> -1 to -5 on the y axis like "rotate -2*y". you may need to translate
> along the z axis. Some trigonometry can give you the exact angle. The
> origin of your text is completely to the left front of the first letter
> on the base line of the text (text goes up and right from the origin
> point and is extruded back)
>
> Alain

as though it was in a box { <0,0,0>,<len, height, depth>}
height, length, depth related to size of letters on relevant axes

stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Felbrigg
Date: 6 May 2004 04:49:09
Message: <4099fc05$1@news.povray.org>
> On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
> pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy them
> from the website?

If your on windows, look in Program Files\PovRay For Windows\ Scenes\Inc
Demos

There are a lot  of demo pov files in there that show you a lot of pigments
and textures.  The Pov files will show you what textures are in what files.

Have fun...

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 6 May 2004 06:26:08
Message: <opr7kpv7p4p4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 6 May 2004 09:49:09 +0100, Felbrigg <som### [at] microsoftcom> wrote:

>> On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
>> pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy
>> them
>> from the website?
>>
> If your on windows, look in Program Files\PovRay For Windows\ Scenes\Inc
> Demos
>
> There are a lot  of demo pov files in there that show you a lot of
> pigments
> and textures.  The Pov files will show you what textures are in what
> files.
>
> Have fun...

They are also listed in the help file under "Standard Include Files", but
better yet try http://texlib.povray.org/ which will show you what they
look like without having to render all those files :)

Enjoy creating your sword.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.

Post a reply to this message

From: Master Xan
Date: 6 May 2004 17:15:00
Message: <web.409aaab1dac6dcb5ad78b6540@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the good help guys. I bookmarked that link, I'll be spending
quite a lot of time there... I appreciate the commands too, I seem to have
missed half the commands for the program on my first searches for an
answer!

Again, thx.

Dan

Post a reply to this message

From: bongotastic
Date: 7 May 2004 09:39:37
Message: <409b9199$1@news.povray.org>
Did you considered using a bump_map rather than difference? It would render
a lot faster, be easy to position.In many cases, it would look as good, if
not better.

Cheers,