POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ingraving Text : Re: Ingraving Text Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ingraving Text
From: Master Xan
Date: 5 May 2004 16:35:00
Message: <web.40994fcfdac6dcb5ad78b6540@news.povray.org>
"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> "Master Xan" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hey, just started using this program... I'm trying to make a logo for a
> > website, and I want an engraved sword... I'm learning how to make the
> > sword, but I can't seem to get anything with engraved text... I checked
> the
> > documentation, I saw something with a difference tag, but couldn't get it
> > working... any suggestions?
> >

> First off, welcome to povray. second, using True Type Fonts in scenes can
> become slow, especially with difference. Difference is what you want to do,
> you were right on that point.
>
> basically, what you do is this
>
> difference {
>    object {my_sword}
>    object {my_text]
> }
>
> you may want to try with simple object at first if you havn't. for instance
>
> difference {
>    /* object to cut into */
>    box {
>       <1, 1, 1>, <-1, -1, -1>
>       pigment {rgb <0, 0, 1>}
>    }
>    /* this box cuts a square shaped hole all the way through the above box
> */
>    box {
>       <.5, 2, .5>, <-.5, -2, -.5>
>       pigment {rgb <1, .5, 0>}
>    }
>    rotate 45*y
>    translate <0, 1, 0>
> }
>
> the important part is making sure that the object that does the cutting
> actually comes into contact with the object you want to cut into. It is
> sometimes useful to use "union" in that testing phase (so you actually see
> where the cutting object is), then replace the union keyword with difference
> when you have it in the right place.
>
> what specific problems are you encountering?

Well, I can't get all the words visable beyond the cone I'm trying to use
(kinda looks like a sword if you can't see the ends, I'll replace it
later). I think it's because I can't get the text to slant (the cone goes
from 0 Z to 3 Z, but the text won't start at 0 Z and end at 3 Z)

On an unrelated note, is there a list of included things (textures,
pigments, whatever) that comes with the program, or do I have to copy them
from the website?