POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : setting finish on a a patterned texture Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  setting finish on a a patterned texture (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: krus
Subject: setting finish on a a patterned texture
Date: 22 Jul 2003 12:45:00
Message: <web.3f1d690a654db8b7126964f40@news.povray.org>
hej
i'm getting an error:
Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
-when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map

why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?
how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map

the thing is -i work on a front end gui
-i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)

regard

Post a reply to this message

> Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
> -when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map

That should be valid, but only if the texture is like the following example.

#declare ColorMappedTexture=
  texture {
    pigment {
      granite
      color_map {
        [0 color rgb <1,0.3,0.1> ]
        [1/3 color rgb <0.7,0.5,0.3> ]
        [2/3 color rgb <1,0.7,0.5> ]
        [1 color rgb <0.5,0.3,0.1> ]
      }
    }
/* a finish statement could also be here and can be overriden later */
  }

texture {
    ColorMappedTexture
    finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.01}
}

> why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?
> how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map

If you are still referring to the 'cannot layer over patterned texture'
limitation and your inability to add a finish to change ambient, diffuse,
specular, etc. I think you should be okay until trying to add yet another
texture statement. For example:

texture {
    PreviouslyDeclaredLayeredTexture
    texture {AnotherHere} // error
}

whereas the next example is okay:

texture {
    PreviouslyDeclaredLayeredTexture
    pigment {AnyColorMap} // no error
    finish {AnyFinish} // also no error
}

This being POV-Ray version 3.5 I am using here, not sure about the previous
versions.

> the thing is -i work on a front end gui
> -i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
> with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)

My guess is that you are getting textures added into textures, and therein
lies the problem.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
> -when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map
>
> why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?

Patterned textures don't interact well with layering. It's certainly an
undesirable "feature", but is too much work to fix. It would be easier
to rewrite the code...and as such a rewrite is already planned for 4.0,
there isn't much incentive to do such major work on 3.5.

> how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map

The answer to this question is to increase ambient in the finish...but I
think you're asking the wrong question, because this doesn't have
anything to do with patterned textures.

> the thing is -i work on a front end gui
> -i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
> with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)

You need to explain what you're doing more clearly. You are working on
some kind of GUI editor that lets you do things like lighten an existing
texture? You need to say exactly what you're trying to do and exactly
what you're doing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>In article <web.3f1d690a654db8b7126964f40[at]news.povray.org>,
> "krus" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote:
>
>> hej
>> i'm getting an error:
>> Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
>> -when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map
>>
>> why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?
>
>Patterned textures don't interact well with layering. It's certainly an
>undesirable "feature", but is too much work to fix. It would be easier
>to rewrite the code...and as such a rewrite is already planned for 4.0,
>there isn't much incentive to do such major work on 3.5.

OH! then thats why! -The eks that Bob H. shows does work properly.
(Thanks Bob!!)

>> how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map
>
>The answer to this question is to increase ambient in the finish...but I
>think you're asking the wrong question, because this doesn't have
>anything to do with patterned textures.
>

>> the thing is -i work on a front end gui
>> -i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
>> with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)
>
>You need to explain what you're doing more clearly. You are working on
>some kind of GUI editor that lets you do things like lighten an existing
>texture? You need to say exactly what you're trying to do and exactly
>what you're doing.

Its a 'summer' project -a delphi app that let u define primitives and select
predefined textures (or create and save one) then a pov file is generated
i do not have a lot -spheres and boxes dimensions w. positions and textures
and then the grief came :)

Thank you to both of you!