POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : setting finish on a a patterned texture : Re: setting finish on a a patterned texture Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: setting finish on a a patterned texture
From: Hughes, B
Date: 22 Jul 2003 14:18:38
Message: <3f1d7ffe@news.povray.org>
"krus" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.3f1d690a654db8b7126964f40@news.povray.org...
> Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
> -when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map

That should be valid, but only if the texture is like the following example.

#declare ColorMappedTexture=
  texture {
    pigment {
      granite
      color_map {
        [0 color rgb <1,0.3,0.1> ]
        [1/3 color rgb <0.7,0.5,0.3> ]
        [2/3 color rgb <1,0.7,0.5> ]
        [1 color rgb <0.5,0.3,0.1> ]
      }
    }
/* a finish statement could also be here and can be overriden later */
  }

texture {
    ColorMappedTexture
    finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.01}
}

> why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?
> how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map

If you are still referring to the 'cannot layer over patterned texture'
limitation and your inability to add a finish to change ambient, diffuse,
specular, etc. I think you should be okay until trying to add yet another
texture statement. For example:

texture {
    PreviouslyDeclaredLayeredTexture
    texture {AnotherHere} // error
}

whereas the next example is okay:

texture {
    PreviouslyDeclaredLayeredTexture
    pigment {AnyColorMap} // no error
    finish {AnyFinish} // also no error
}

This being POV-Ray version 3.5 I am using here, not sure about the previous
versions.

> the thing is -i work on a front end gui
> -i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
> with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)

My guess is that you are getting textures added into textures, and therein
lies the problem.

Bob H.