POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : setting finish on a a patterned texture : Re: setting finish on a a patterned texture Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: setting finish on a a patterned texture
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Jul 2003 20:34:30
Message: <cjameshuff-447CF6.19273422072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f1d690a654db8b7126964f40@news.povray.org>,
 "krus" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> hej
> i'm getting an error:
> Parse Error: Cannot layer a patterned texture over another
> -when i try to add a finish to a texture that contain a color_map
>
> why -is a texture not a texture nomatter what?

Patterned textures don't interact well with layering. It's certainly an
undesirable "feature", but is too much work to fix. It would be easier
to rewrite the code...and as such a rewrite is already planned for 4.0,
there isn't much incentive to do such major work on 3.5.

> how can i then 'light up' a texture with a color_map

The answer to this question is to increase ambient in the finish...but I
think you're asking the wrong question, because this doesn't have
anything to do with patterned textures.

> the thing is -i work on a front end gui
> -i have the textures in a inc file and i need to do standarized oprations
> with all textures -so now i'm kind of in a fix.. :)

You need to explain what you're doing more clearly. You are working on
some kind of GUI editor that lets you do things like lighten an existing
texture? You need to say exactly what you're trying to do and exactly
what you're doing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/