POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
Subject: How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights?
Date: 21 Mar 2003 03:15:07
Message: <web.3e7a7baa935d6ddb99c6fd670@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm new to POVRay and am struggling with something. Is there a way to create
rolling hills if you have specific X/Y coordinates where you want the tops
of
the hills and the lowest points of the troughs to be? I'd also like to make
them specific heights and want the surface to smoothly transition from each
peak to each trough and on to the next hill or trough. I've been looking at
Isosurface object, but I dont think that's what I'm after as it seems one
needs to be able to generate the entire surface with a single formula.

The number of coordinates per plane, their location and the height for the
hill/trough at each location will vary and are from an external source. I
plan to write a perl script that generates pov code to create the image
which is then rendered periodically.

Thanks for any help!

Mark.
mar### [at] hotmailcom

Post a reply to this message

> I'm new to POVRay and am struggling with something. Is there a way to create
> rolling hills if you have specific X/Y coordinates where you want the tops
> of
> the hills and the lowest points of the troughs to be? I'd also like to make
> them specific heights and want the surface to smoothly transition from each
> peak to each trough and on to the next hill or trough. I've been looking at
> Isosurface object, but I dont think that's what I'm after as it seems one
> needs to be able to generate the entire surface with a single formula.
>
> The number of coordinates per plane, their location and the height for the
> hill/trough at each location will vary and are from an external source. I
> plan to write a perl script that generates pov code to create the image
> which is then rendered periodically.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out iso-surfaces, but it sounds as though you need a
height-field.

With an iso-surface, it will largely depend on how much control you need.

Also, iirc you can combine a hf and an iso. Put the general terrain topology in
the hf, but then give some attractive detail with the iso-function?

Post a reply to this message