POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? : Re: How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights?
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 21 Mar 2003 08:11:40
Message: <3e7b0f8c@news.povray.org>
Well, since you know the x and y coordinates, as well as the
z (though I'd refer to x and z coordinates and y being the height),
you could just genereate a mesh yourself.

One method would be to connect the different nodes with triangles,
which could be subdivided into smaller parts and are altered in height
to achieve the smooth rolling from peak to trough.

There are several ways you could go about this, especially since
you're asking about a method to interpolate different positions in
a 3D-Environment. Something like landscape reconstruction would
be needed here, which tries to derive the landscape from the different
known positions.

One idea might be to create a rectangular "cloth", which you will
attach to the different known nodes. This mesh could be altered
based on distance to the nodes. Its rather difficult though, you'd
have to always combine three nodes to triangles which cover the
entire section, to have interpolations without jagged jumps, and
you might still be able to see the triangles afterwards..

There are a lot of ways you could go, best would be to generate
the entire heightfield, export as image, and use POV's native height-
field, as Tom suggested.

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde