POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? : Re: How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I make hills and troughs at specific coords and of specific heights?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 21 Mar 2003 04:19:52
Message: <3e7ad938$1@news.povray.org>
wrote in message news:web.3e7a7baa935d6ddb99c6fd670@news.povray.org...
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to POVRay and am struggling with something. Is there a way to create
> rolling hills if you have specific X/Y coordinates where you want the tops
> of
> the hills and the lowest points of the troughs to be? I'd also like to make
> them specific heights and want the surface to smoothly transition from each
> peak to each trough and on to the next hill or trough. I've been looking at
> Isosurface object, but I dont think that's what I'm after as it seems one
> needs to be able to generate the entire surface with a single formula.
>
> The number of coordinates per plane, their location and the height for the
> hill/trough at each location will vary and are from an external source. I
> plan to write a perl script that generates pov code to create the image
> which is then rendered periodically.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out iso-surfaces, but it sounds as though you need a
height-field.

With an iso-surface, it will largely depend on how much control you need.

Also, iirc you can combine a hf and an iso. Put the general terrain topology in
the hf, but then give some attractive detail with the iso-function?