POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help with Isosurface function... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Help with Isosurface function... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mark Hanford
Subject: Help with Isosurface function...
Date: 6 Nov 2002 10:14:08
Message: <3dc931c0@news.povray.org>
I've been trying to make scene involving plowed fields, and am
currently using a height-field made from a gradient-x pattern with a
bit of tiny bozo noise over the top, all of which is then scaled
<1500,25,1000>.  This results in a nice rough brown ridged surface a
bit like corrugated tin roofing /\/\/\/\/\/\.

What I did next was ditch the hf, as I need a bit of hillysillyness,
and use a squashed cylinder{-5000*x, 5000*x, 500} with the
afforementioned gradient and bozo patterns to achieve a similar result
as standing on a very small stripey cylindrical world, but without the
pretty ploughed waves.

What I'd really really like though, is a curved wavey surface, which
my ailing mind is incapable of getting the function for.
I assume it's some combination of
function { sqrt(pow(x,2)- + pow(z,2)) - 1 }  (but rotated to
horizontal)
function { f_noise3d(?,?,?)}
function { f_ridge?(?????)}

I've tried combinations of these, but due to too much guesswork and
not enough understanding (yet) of ISO's, I've been having trouble :(

I might post an image in p.b.i if this makes no sense to anyone...

many thanks,

--
Mark Hanford

Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray

Post a reply to this message

Tried to send you a file but your internet address waas rejected.

Mick

"Mark Hanford" <mar### [at] theinternetcom> wrote in message
> I've been trying to make scene involving plowed fields, and am
> currently using a height-field made from a gradient-x pattern with a
> bit of tiny bozo noise over the top, all of which is then scaled
> <1500,25,1000>.  This results in a nice rough brown ridged surface a
> bit like corrugated tin roofing /\/\/\/\/\/\.
>
> What I did next was ditch the hf, as I need a bit of hillysillyness,
> and use a squashed cylinder{-5000*x, 5000*x, 500} with the
> afforementioned gradient and bozo patterns to achieve a similar result
> as standing on a very small stripey cylindrical world, but without the
> pretty ploughed waves.
>
> What I'd really really like though, is a curved wavey surface, which
> my ailing mind is incapable of getting the function for.
> I assume it's some combination of
> function { sqrt(pow(x,2)- + pow(z,2)) - 1 }  (but rotated to
> horizontal)
> function { f_noise3d(?,?,?)}
> function { f_ridge?(?????)}
>

> I've tried combinations of these, but due to too much guesswork and
> not enough understanding (yet) of ISO's, I've been having trouble :(
>
> I might post an image in p.b.i if this makes no sense to anyone...
>
> many thanks,
>
> --
> Mark Hanford
>
> Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
> http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray

Post a reply to this message

>I've been trying to make scene involving plowed fields, and am
>currently using a height-field made from a gradient-x pattern with a
>bit of tiny bozo noise over the top, all of which is then scaled
><1500,25,1000>.  This results in a nice rough brown ridged surface a
>bit like corrugated tin roofing /\/\/\/\/\/\.
>
>What I did next was ditch the hf, as I need a bit of hillysillyness,
>and use a squashed cylinder{-5000*x, 5000*x, 500} with the
>afforementioned gradient and bozo patterns to achieve a similar result
>as standing on a very small stripey cylindrical world, but without the
>pretty ploughed waves.
>
>What I'd really really like though, is a curved wavey surface, which
>my ailing mind is incapable of getting the function for.
>I assume it's some combination of
>function { sqrt(pow(x,2)- + pow(z,2)) - 1 }  (but rotated to
>horizontal)
>function { f_noise3d(?,?,?)}
>function { f_ridge?(?????)}
>

>I've tried combinations of these, but due to too much guesswork and
>not enough understanding (yet) of ISO's, I've been having trouble :(
>
>I might post an image in p.b.i if this makes no sense to anyone...
>
>many thanks,
>
>--
>Mark Hanford
>
>Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
>http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray

xen### [at] xenomechanicscom

Post a reply to this message

>I've been trying to make scene involving plowed fields, and am
>currently using a height-field made from a gradient-x pattern with a
>bit of tiny bozo noise over the top, all of which is then scaled
><1500,25,1000>.  This results in a nice rough brown ridged surface a
>bit like corrugated tin roofing /\/\/\/\/\/\.
>
>What I did next was ditch the hf, as I need a bit of hillysillyness,
*snip*
>I've tried combinations of these, but due to too much guesswork and
>not enough understanding (yet) of ISO's, I've been having trouble :(

Sorry about the last post, it got away from me...
Are you opposed to using a mesh2 instead of an isosurface?
It could be just me but I find the isosurfaces extremely hard to control
(and that is part of the beauty of POV-RAY)
The code may be more lengthly but I've found it parses much faster and it's
not as buggy.
I can post a mesh2 version of your function if you'd find it useful.
Thanks
Tony

xen### [at] xenomechanicscom