POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using mathematical functions in co-ordinates Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Using mathematical functions in co-ordinates (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: RareBeast
Subject: Using mathematical functions in co-ordinates
Date: 9 Feb 2006 20:05:01
Message: <web.43ebe66896499cdbea871fd0@news.povray.org>
Hi all.

In setting up some billiard balls in a triangle formation, I discovered that
I needed to make the z co-ordinate the square root of 3.

I have been using < 0, 0, 1.713> which is fine, but I was wondering if there
is anyway of doing it like < 0, 0, SQRT(3) > or some such.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

"RareBeast" <mdc### [at] bigpondcom> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> In setting up some billiard balls in a triangle formation, I discovered that
> I needed to make the z co-ordinate the square root of 3.
>
> I have been using < 0, 0, 1.713> which is fine, but I was wondering if there
> is anyway of doing it like < 0, 0, SQRT(3) > or some such.
>
> Thanks

<0,0,pow(3,1/3)>

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> "RareBeast" <mdc### [at] bigpondcom> wrote:
>>I have been using < 0, 0, 1.713> which is fine, but I was wondering if there
>>is anyway of doing it like < 0, 0, SQRT(3) > or some such.
>>
>>Thanks
>
> <0,0,pow(3,1/3)>

'Scuse me?  That would be cube root not square root.  Try pow(3,1/2).

      -=- Larry -=-

Post a reply to this message

"Larry Hudson" <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Trevor G Quayle wrote:
>> "RareBeast" <mdc### [at] bigpondcom> wrote:
>>>I have been using < 0, 0, 1.713> which is fine, but I was wondering if
>>>there
>>>is anyway of doing it like < 0, 0, SQRT(3) > or some such.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>> <0,0,pow(3,1/3)>
>>

> 'Scuse me?  That would be cube root not square root.  Try pow(3,1/2).

Yes, bit tired and misread the 3 part as wanting the cube root.

RareBeast: Just so you know, the pow() function is used for all powers and
roots (including cube roots...), the '^' operator having been removed a few
versions ago.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 10 Feb 2006 03:04:12
Message: <43ec48fc$1@news.povray.org>

web.43ebe66896499cdbea871fd0@news.povray.org...
> Hi all.
>
> In setting up some billiard balls in a triangle formation, I
> discovered that
> I needed to make the z co-ordinate the square root of 3.
>
> I have been using < 0, 0, 1.713> which is fine, but I was wondering
> if there
> is anyway of doing it like < 0, 0, SQRT(3) > or some such.

where is the problem ?

sqrt() is a povray function. read
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/228/

Post a reply to this message