POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sleazy Saint
Subject: Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering
Date: 21 Jun 2005 09:45:00
Message: <web.42b8199ec3a6f3b146d22db00@news.povray.org>
I'm a little confused as to the nature of single pass rendering versus
multi-pass rendering. What are the advantages to rendering in more than one
go (e.g. rendering radiosity, then loading the data and running the final
pass)? Aside from the paragraph explaining how to save and load radiosity
data, it seems the help file glossed over this information.

Post a reply to this message

Sleazy Saint <Oll### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> I'm a little confused as to the nature of single pass rendering versus
> multi-pass rendering. What are the advantages to rendering in more than one
> go (e.g. rendering radiosity, then loading the data and running the final
> pass)? Aside from the paragraph explaining how to save and load radiosity
> data, it seems the help file glossed over this information.

  The initial passes are done with a smaller error_bound. Thus you
get (at least in theory) higher quality without having to have a
very small error_bound in the final pass.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm a little confused as to the nature of single pass rendering versus
> > multi-pass rendering. What are the advantages to rendering in more than
one
> > go (e.g. rendering radiosity, then loading the data and running the
final
> > pass)? Aside from the paragraph explaining how to save and load
radiosity
> > data, it seems the help file glossed over this information.
>
>   The initial passes are done with a smaller error_bound. Thus you
> get (at least in theory) higher quality without having to have a
> very small error_bound in the final pass.

You may also check http://www.nolights.de/projects/radiosity/radiosity.html,
where I've documented some Indoor-Tests with the Two-Pass Radiosity that was
developed in a thread on these newsgroups (that fine chap Gilles Tran
admitted it wasn't all his idea when I credited him on the page, so that's
why I know, I haven't witnessed the discussion itself).

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote:
> >   The initial passes are done with a smaller error_bound. Thus you
> > get (at least in theory) higher quality without having to have a
> > very small error_bound in the final pass.
>
> You may also check http://www.nolights.de/projects/radiosity/radiosity.html,
> where I've documented some Indoor-Tests with the Two-Pass Radiosity that was
> developed in a thread on these newsgroups (that fine chap Gilles Tran
> admitted it wasn't all his idea when I credited him on the page, so that's
> why I know, I haven't witnessed the discussion itself).
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> --
> "Tim Nikias v2.0"
> Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Thank you, that link is very informative. Now all I have to do is dedicate a
few hours to poring over it