POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering : Re: Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single- vs. Multi-Pass Rendering
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 21 Jun 2005 15:27:33
Message: <42b86a25@news.povray.org>
> > I'm a little confused as to the nature of single pass rendering versus
> > multi-pass rendering. What are the advantages to rendering in more than
one
> > go (e.g. rendering radiosity, then loading the data and running the
final
> > pass)? Aside from the paragraph explaining how to save and load
radiosity
> > data, it seems the help file glossed over this information.
>
>   The initial passes are done with a smaller error_bound. Thus you
> get (at least in theory) higher quality without having to have a
> very small error_bound in the final pass.

You may also check http://www.nolights.de/projects/radiosity/radiosity.html,
where I've documented some Indoor-Tests with the Two-Pass Radiosity that was
developed in a thread on these newsgroups (that fine chap Gilles Tran
admitted it wasn't all his idea when I credited him on the page, so that's
why I know, I haven't witnessed the discussion itself).

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"