POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Texture (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Daniel
Subject: Re: Texture
Date: 16 Feb 2005 10:06:29
Message: <42136175$1@news.povray.org>
Props to you.  I basically understand it.  I learn by taking source code of
programs apart and trying various things.  So thanks again!  If you want to
see my finished logo for proposal, I'll be happy to send it to you.  Now its
off to combining the alphabet blocks (or my own) to this.  Should look
prerty convincing.
"Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> [...]
>  pigment {
>   image_map {
>   png "alpha.png"
>  }
> }
> }
>
> #declare InvisiblePart=
> texture {
>  pigment {
>   rgbt 1
>  }
> }
>
> // thick-walled box
> intersection {
> height_field {
>  png "alpha.png"
>  water_level 0.005 // remove lowest/darkest part
>  // some adjustments to get into place
>  rotate -90*x
>  scale <1.001,1.001,2>
>  translate 0.5*z
> }
> difference {
>  box {
>   0,1 // outside
>  }
>  box {
>   0.1,0.9 // inside
>  }
> }
> texture {
>  gradient z
>  texture_map {
>   [0.1 ImagePart] // trying to match thickness surface...
>   [0.1 InvisiblePart] // ... so are transformations below
>  }
>  scale <1.02,1.02,2> // some adjustments to get into place...
>  translate <-0.01,-0.01,-0.01> // ... so that coverage is good
> }
> translate <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5> // center on world origin
> rotate <0,-45,0> // turn to show thickness better
> }
>
> // show where box is
> difference {
>  box {
>   0,1 // outside edges
>  }
>  box {
>   0.01,0.99 // cutaway sides
>    scale <1.1,1,1> translate -0.015*x
>  }
>  box {
>   0.01,0.99 // cutaway top/bottom
>    scale <1,1.1,1> translate -0.015*y
>  }
>  box {
>   0.01,0.99 // cutaway front/back
>    scale <1,1,1.1> translate -0.015*z
>  }
>  pigment {
>   color rgb 1
>  }
> translate <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5> // center on world origin
> rotate <0,-45,0> // turn to show thickness better
> }
> // END HERE
>
> No doubt this complicated to go through just for a simple thing such as
> this but I'm not able to think of a better way. Obviously there's a whole
> lot of juggling the positions around to fit it all together right, and I
> suppose you'll be changing it to do what you want.
>
> Maybe this will help anyhow. You can always ask more questions.

Post a reply to this message

BTW is there a way to interpolate in the alpha area to make it a solid
object?
> [...]
>>   0.01,0.99 // cutaway top/bottom
>>    scale <1,1.1,1> translate -0.015*y
>>  }
>>  box {
>>   0.01,0.99 // cutaway front/back
>>    scale <1,1,1.1> translate -0.015*z
>>  }
>>  pigment {
>>   color rgb 1
>>  }
>> translate <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5> // center on world origin
>> rotate <0,-45,0> // turn to show thickness better
>> }
>> // END HERE
>>
>> No doubt this complicated to go through just for a simple thing such as
>> this but I'm not able to think of a better way. Obviously there's a whole
>> lot of juggling the positions around to fit it all together right, and I
>> suppose you'll be changing it to do what you want.
>>
>> Maybe this will help anyhow. You can always ask more questions.

Post a reply to this message