POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : how to create an equirectangular image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  how to create an equirectangular image (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: johnmott59
Subject: how to create an equirectangular image
Date: 7 Jan 2005 13:40:00
Message: <web.41ded6d6b217348448e7f6db0@news.povray.org>
hello,

i'm a new user and interesting in using POV to generate a a view that is a
complete 360x180 scene such as the kind that you would use in an IPIX
system.

The desired output from a scene is an image file in equirectangular format,
which is a rectangle twice as wide as it is tall.

the horizontal direction contains the 0-360 degree view (stand and spin
around) and the vertical direction contains the 0-180 direction (look up
and down).

these images are then suitable for direct viewing by a number of VR viewers.

i see that you can generate a spherical view and a cylindrical projection
with the camera, but i'm wondering if you can generate an equirectangular
format directly.

thanks!

JM

Post a reply to this message

 "johnmott59" <joh### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>>hello,
>>
>>i'm a new user and interesting in using POV to generate a a view that is a
>>complete 360x180 scene such as the kind that you would use in an IPIX
>>system.
>>
>>The desired output from a scene is an image file in equirectangular format,
>>which is a rectangle twice as wide as it is tall.
>>
>>the horizontal direction contains the 0-360 degree view (stand and spin
>>around) and the vertical direction contains the 0-180 direction (look up
>>and down).
>>
>>these images are then suitable for direct viewing by a number of VR viewers.
>>
>>i see that you can generate a spherical view and a cylindrical projection
>>with the camera, but i'm wondering if you can generate an equirectangular
>>format directly.
>>
>>thanks!
>>
>>JM

a beginning of answer :
  camera {
    spherical
    location <0, 0, 0>
    right -x
    angle 360, 180
    look_at <...>
    }

  then set the size of the output image to 1/2 -> +W1024 +H512

  hope this help!
  klp

Post a reply to this message