POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : understanding gamma Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  understanding gamma (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Bill Hails
Subject: understanding gamma
Date: 26 Nov 2003 17:52:45
Message: <3fc52ebd@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm slightly confused. Any help appreciated.

Only recently I added Display_Gamma=1.7 to my config (it's probably
1.8 but that was what I arrived at).

then today I grabbed some source from p.b.sf (the balls collection)
and rendered it.

The image I got was considerably lighter (and better for it) than
the one posted on p.b.i as viewed on my monitor.

It has assumed_gamma 1.0 in its global_settings, I can only assume
the author (Nico) also has an appropriate Display_Gamma locally.

so, I have read all I can find on gamma in the pov docs,
but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
Could someone please correct me if I'm wrong on what I
gleaned:

1. When you look at an image that was generated on a different
system, you are at the mercy of the gamma settings of that
system, *unless* it is a png image, which *might* allow
gamma correction when you view it.

2. However if you render the same image on your own system,
with your own Display_Gamma settings and assumed_gamma 1.0,
then you pretty much see what the other person saw when they
rendered the image.

Is that right?

--
Bill Hails

Post a reply to this message

 Bill Hails <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote:

> 1. When you look at an image that was generated on a different
> system, you are at the mercy of the gamma settings of that
> system, *unless* it is a png image, which *might* allow
> gamma correction when you view it.

Right. If it is a PNG image and the gamma information was written
correctly, your PNG viewing software reads and uses it, and your viewing
software is set up correctly with your system's gamma, it will display
with the proper gamma correction. Unfortunately, it seems like at least
one of these is usually wrong.

> 2. However if you render the same image on your own system,
> with your own Display_Gamma settings and assumed_gamma 1.0,
> then you pretty much see what the other person saw when they
> rendered the image.

Yes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for asking your questions, I learned something!

Tim

Post a reply to this message

>  Bill Hails <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote:
>
>> 1. When you look at an image that was generated on a different
>> system, you are at the mercy of the gamma settings of that
>> system, *unless* it is a png image, which *might* allow
>> gamma correction when you view it.
>
> Right. If it is a PNG image and the gamma information was written
> correctly, your PNG viewing software reads and uses it, and your viewing
> software is set up correctly with your system's gamma, it will display
> with the proper gamma correction. Unfortunately, it seems like at least
> one of these is usually wrong.
>

>> 2. However if you render the same image on your own system,
>> with your own Display_Gamma settings and assumed_gamma 1.0,
>> then you pretty much see what the other person saw when they
>> rendered the image.
>
> Yes.

Great, thanks.

In that case, if when someone posts an image they mention their
own gamma settings, it should be possible to calculate a gamma
setting for viewing the image locally, either my_gamma / their_gamma
or its inverse, not sure which :-), assuming a viewer
that allows a numerical setting of the gamma.

--
Bill Hails

Post a reply to this message

 Bill Hails <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote:

> In that case, if when someone posts an image they mention their
> own gamma settings, it should be possible to calculate a gamma
> setting for viewing the image locally, either my_gamma / their_gamma
> or its inverse, not sure which :-), assuming a viewer
> that allows a numerical setting of the gamma.

Yes, if you know the gamma the image was viewed with, you can correct it
to display properly with your gamma, doing manually what the PNG gamma
is supposed to do automatically.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Thanks for asking your questions, I learned something!
>
> Tim

Thank C. J. Huff for answering them :-)

--
Bill Hails