POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : understanding gamma : understanding gamma Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  understanding gamma
From: Bill Hails
Date: 26 Nov 2003 17:52:45
Message: <3fc52ebd@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm slightly confused. Any help appreciated.

Only recently I added Display_Gamma=1.7 to my config (it's probably
1.8 but that was what I arrived at).

then today I grabbed some source from p.b.sf (the balls collection)
and rendered it.

The image I got was considerably lighter (and better for it) than
the one posted on p.b.i as viewed on my monitor.

It has assumed_gamma 1.0 in its global_settings, I can only assume
the author (Nico) also has an appropriate Display_Gamma locally.

so, I have read all I can find on gamma in the pov docs,
but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
Could someone please correct me if I'm wrong on what I
gleaned:

1. When you look at an image that was generated on a different
system, you are at the mercy of the gamma settings of that
system, *unless* it is a png image, which *might* allow
gamma correction when you view it.

2. However if you render the same image on your own system,
with your own Display_Gamma settings and assumed_gamma 1.0,
then you pretty much see what the other person saw when they
rendered the image.

Is that right?

--
Bill Hails