POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texture Library plugin Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Texture Library plugin (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: St
Subject: Re: Texture Library plugin
Date: 11 Aug 2003 13:41:20
Message: <3f37d540@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> In article <3F325217.CC7B3A90@pacbell.net>, tyl### [at] pacbellnet
says...

> Hmm. The plugin won't work on my copy of 3.5 for some odd reason. It
will
> load POV-Ray and apparently does something.. But there is no
rendering,
> it just dims the 'Render' button and the after a bit times out or
> something and goes back to normal, with no image created for the
texture.
> Needless to say this kind of defeats the purpose of the program. :p
>
> Does anyone else have this issue?

     Yep, me Patrick. Is it supposed to render the images though? Or
is there something we're both missing? If we have to render the
images, how long will it take? I have something like 550 textures on
my PC.

    ~Steve~

> --
> void main () {

>     call functional_code()
>   else
>     call crash_windows();
> }

Post a reply to this message

> "Patrick Elliott" <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > In article <3F325217.CC7B3A90@pacbell.net>, tyl### [at] pacbellnet
> says...
>
> > Hmm. The plugin won't work on my copy of 3.5 for some odd reason. It
> will
> > load POV-Ray and apparently does something.. But there is no
> rendering,
> > it just dims the 'Render' button and the after a bit times out or
> > something and goes back to normal, with no image created for the
> texture.
> > Needless to say this kind of defeats the purpose of the program. :p
> >
> > Does anyone else have this issue?
>
>      Yep, me Patrick. Is it supposed to render the images though? Or
> is there something we're both missing? If we have to render the
> images, how long will it take? I have something like 550 textures on
> my PC.
>
>     ~Steve~

It is supposed to render which ever ones you have selected in order to
generate its internal thumbnail list. It uses some sort of
special database to store this stuff, so I don't think you can simply
take the needed POV file, render it and then try to tell the texture
viewer to import that image. Instead it appears that it is supposed to
work like the preview function that Moray has for textures. Otherwise,
there is really no point at all for it to use a .pge to link the two
together. After all, it can't directly import the text for the texture
anyway, you have to cut and paste it.

Something must have inadvertently been changed in POV-Ray 3.5 that
interferes with this plugin talking to POV-Ray correctly. :( I do
remember it worked right using 3.1 back when I had both programs
installed on my old 486. I 'could' try setting it to use the version of
3.1 I still have installed, but there are new things in 3.5 that you
still couldn't render a thumbnail for in 3.1. :p

Hmm. Trying to remember, was there a source code file for the viewer in
the site? Maybe someone could track down the issue and fix it if so, but
since my eyes cross every time I look at the plugin interface code, I
would prefer it to be someone that knows what they are doing. ;) lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else