POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : problem with media Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  problem with media (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Bill Hails
Subject: problem with media
Date: 11 May 2003 12:46:43
Message: <3ebe7e73@news.povray.org>
Hi.
I'm trying to make cigarette smoke.

The yellow object in http://thyme.homelinux.net/still-life-nm.jpg
is just to show the shape I'm using for the smoke.
It's a csg merge of lots of sphere sweeps. It does have a fairly
irregular surface which I think may be the problem.

The second image  http://thyme.homelinux.net/still-life-bm.jpg
shows lots of what look like artefacts when I turn on media.

the relevant code for both is:

    #if (Quick)
        pigment { rgb<1,1,0> }
    #else
        hollow
        texture { pigment { rgbt<1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1> } }
        interior {
            media {
                // samples 4, 4
                // method 3
                // intervals 1
                // scattering { 2 0.5 }
                absorption 0.7
                emission 0.7
            }
        }
    #end

I have max_trace_level 50 in my global_settings, so I guess I
have to play around with media options. I've been testing various
settings for samples, method and interval for the last day or so,
they seem to change the effect but nothing I've tried so far
fixes it.

Has anyone seen this before?

--
Bill Hails