POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : problem with media : Re: problem with media Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with media
From: Bill Hails
Date: 13 May 2003 16:02:59
Message: <3ec14f72@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:

> It almost looks as though the surface of the container is reflecting
> something (a checkered floor no less - how traditional ;).
>
> Any stray settings floating around?

nope, very standard, except for the big max_trace_level = 50.
I'm trying a different tack atm, but I think it may be a bijoux bugette in
Pov. I had

#declare Cigarette = union {
        // parts of the cigarette
        SmokeShape
}

where SmokeShape is a merge of some sphere sweeps with media turned on.

when I changed to:

#declare Cigarette = merge {
        // parts of the cigarette
        SmokeShape
}

the artefacts disappeared (but other problems occurred).

I can't swear to this, it was late at night :-) but the
SmokeShape certainly rendered perfectly well by itself
with media turned on.

The artefacts do look like a chequered floor, I think that's
indicative, like they appear when the ray passes an even (odd?) number
of times through the object?

I guess I'd be doing everyone a favour if I could produce
a sample piece of code exhibiting the problem - I'm feeling
a little guilty now, I'll see what I can do.

--
Bill Hails