POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : problem with media : Re: problem with media Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:34:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with media
From: Ed Jackson
Date: 15 May 2003 21:26:02
Message: <pan.2003.05.16.01.25.57.909001.1579@iastate.edu>
On Tue, 13 May 2003 15:04:56 -0500, Bill Hails wrote:

> The artefacts do look like a chequered floor, I think that's indicative,
> like they appear when the ray passes an even (odd?) number of times
> through the object?

I think you're probably on the right track... If you look at section
6.5.6.5 of the povray manual (about the CSG merge operation), you'll see
the following:

"The union operation just glues objects together, it does not remove the
 objects' surfaces inside the union. Under most circumstances this doesn't
 matter. However if a transparent  union is used, those interior surfaces
 will be visible. The  merge operations can be used to avoid this problem.
 It works just like union but it eliminates the inner surfaces..."

I'm not really familiar with how media functions with container objects,
but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that your problem was related
to the surfaces that weren't removed by the union, AND that it's not
really a bug.  ;)

Good luck with it!

	-Ed