POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : clock vs spline Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  clock vs spline (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dennis Miller
Subject: clock vs spline
Date: 5 Mar 2003 08:29:02
Message: <3e65fb9e$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to correlate the position of the camera relative to the clock
when I use a spline to translate the camera. The code is as follows:
 #declare MySpline =
  spline {
    cubic_spline
    -.25, <0,0,-1>
    0.00, <3,.1,-5>
    0.25, <0,.2,-15>
    0.50, <-2,.3,-5>
    0.75, <0,.1,1>
   1.00, <.5,1,-1>
   1.25, <0,0,-8> }

camera {
  location 0
  direction <0, 0, 3.5>
  right <(3/2), 0, 0>
  up <0, 1, 0>
translate MySpline(clock) }

If I were to set the Initial_Clock to say, .50 and the Final_Clock to .75,
can I assume that the camera would be translated to those specific points in
the spline declaration (<-2,.3,-5> and <0,.1,1>)? In other words, will the
camera move along the spline path in synchrony with the value of the clock?

Thanks much,
Dennis

--

dhm### [at] attbicom
http://www.dennismiller.neu.edu

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:31:40 -0500, "Dennis Miller" <dhm### [at] attbicom> wrote:
> In other words, will the
> camera move along the spline path in synchrony with the value of the clock?

Afaik yes. Anything makes you think it isn't ?

Instead of translate you can put Spline Vector directly into location.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

 "Dennis Miller" <dhm### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> If I were to set the Initial_Clock to say, .50 and the Final_Clock to .75,
> can I assume that the camera would be translated to those specific points in
> the spline declaration (<-2,.3,-5> and <0,.1,1>)? In other words, will the
> camera move along the spline path in synchrony with the value of the clock?

Didn't you try it?
Yes, that should work fine...though it should work just as well with the
spline controlling the camera location directly instead of putting the
camera at < 0, 0, 0> and then translating it. There is no real
difference, just a little simpler. You could even do something like this:

camera {
    location MySpline(clock)
    look_at MySpline(clock + 0.1)
}

to get the camera to look along the spline.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Thanks to both. Well I am using this code but it is a very abstract scene
and I can't really tell where the camera "should"be. I think I was trying to
confirm that the value in parenths correlated to the time points along the
spline. Normally I wouldn't think of them as time points per se - more as
just locations or coordinates  (not sure of the proper term) for the spline.
But you have confirmed my understanding.
Thanks again,
D.

news:cja### [at] netplexaussieorg...