POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Looking for info on vaxis_rotate( ) or related functions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for info on vaxis_rotate( ) or related functions (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Will W
Subject: Looking for info on vaxis_rotate( ) or related functions
Date: 27 Feb 2003 15:21:04
Message: <3e5e7330@news.povray.org>
I have a situation where I am defining a set of points relative to <0,0,0>
then rotating them into the final position. In a later step, I need to know
where one of these points has ended up (so I can use it with the "Connect"
macro).

So I think I want something like

    #declare newPlace = DoSomething( <Ax,Ay,Az>, <Dx,Dy,Dz>);

where the 'D' values are in degrees.

Can I somehow do this with vaxis_rotate? If so, how do I convert the
<Dx,Dy,Dz> to a rotation vector (vaxis_rotate's "B" parameter) and the
degrees of rotation (the "F" parameter)?  Since I'm always working from the
origin and can use an arbitrary orientation with the initial construction, I
should, I think, be able to set things up for a simple special case usage--
but I don't really know any trig any more, and I can't visualize the
problem.

Is there another approach that would be easier? Do I just need vrotate(A,B)?

I am so confused. Somebody please pat me on the head and point me in the
right direction.

[BTW, knowing that I needed a vector answer did make it a lot easier to
search the help files for possibly useful functions. To my mind, this has
justified the current organization of that material]

--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA

Post a reply to this message