POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a "string length" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Is there a "string length" function? (Message 7 to 16 of 46)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Is there a "string length" function?
Date: 21 Feb 2003 05:39:29
Message: <3e5601e0@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> One oddity in this case is that strlen (and some other string-related functions)
> do not appear under the string function section, but instead are under the
> float-function section. Okay, it returns a float, but IMHO such functions could
> be listed in both sections.

  Functions are categorized based on what they return.
  Functions can take any type of parameters (floats, vectors, strings,
objects...) and it would be too hard and awkward to start categorizing
them according to what they take as parameter. (For example, how would
you categorize the trace() function?)