POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a "string length" function? : Re: Is there a "string length" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a "string length" function?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Feb 2003 09:48:33
Message: <cjameshuff-EC57EE.09454621022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e56003e.6747031@news.povray.org>,
 mca### [at] aolcom (S McAvoy) wrote:

> I think what George meant was, that to someone starting out using PovRay, the
> manual has too much to much information to take in all at once. Not all users
> are professional IT experts you know. PovRay attracts artists, as well as
> techies, whose search skills may not be the best. It can be daunting trying to
> find information you only have a hazy idea about using a manual you are not
> familiar with.

The person knew the C strlen() function, which strongly implies he is
not in that group. It would have been very simple to search the
documentation for "strlen", or just try it in a simple scene. If he
hadn't known about strlen(), a slightly more complex search would still
quickly find it, but I would have reacted differently. (the probability
of him being a newbie or non-coder type would have been much higher)

Anyway, this is getting out of hand. The question has been answered,
lets drop it. I'm sorry if I appeared excessively rude, but the
documentation is written to answer these kinds of questions before they
are asked, it is annoying and frustrating to have that work ignored.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/