POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why left-handed coordinate system? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Why left-handed coordinate system? (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Why left-handed coordinate system?
Date: 19 Nov 2002 05:33:52
Message: <3dda138f@news.povray.org>
Kaveh <kav### [at] delete_thisfocalimagecom> wrote:
> I find it easier just to use the curled fingers method, not the index
> and third fingers. To get the sense of the z axis, I position the left
> hand such that the four fingers curl from the x to the y axis. Then the
> thumb shows the direction of the z axis.

  That description was very unclear. I did not visualize at all which
direction the thumb is pointing at...

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 19 Nov 2002 06:02:39
Message: <20021119120238.57d0c099.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On 18 Nov 2002 15:34:03 -0500
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   (If you didn't know, you can easily visualize which direction does
> a positive angle rotate an object by pointing your thumb (of the left
> hand if you are using the left-handed coordinates) towards the positive
> axis around which you are rotating and bend your fingers.)

  I use only this rule for all my "visualizations" when I'm writing scenes, and I
agree with you: when you have the right hand already on the numeric pad, the
lef-handed system is very useful. Not joking!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message