POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : height field Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:50:01 EDT (-0400)
  height field (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: prepress
Subject: height field
Date: 24 May 2000 10:34:42
Message: <392BE9D0.7042822A@printingincorporated.com>
I'm creating a scene with a mountain range in the background. I used
Photoshop and the airbrush tool to paint my height field file. When I
render it, there appear to be holes where triangles have been dropped in
the height field. I've tried it with the Photoshop file saved as a targa
and as a png file, but get the same results.

I also have run blur filters on the Photoshop file several times to make
sure there were no random dark pixels in the white parts of the file
that would cause sudden drops in elevation.

I've rendered this in both the Mac official version and in MegaMacPOV
and the results are identical. Any suggestions?

By the way the height field file is 900 x 900 pixels.

Thanks,

RJay Hansen
email: rha### [at] 2540dpif2scom
http//:www.2540dpi.f2s.com

Post a reply to this message

Try adding the smooth keyword to the heightfield object. Are you using water
level?

Josh

--
Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom

Post a reply to this message

I have already added smooth-- all attempts so far are using smoothing. And no,
I'm not using water level.

RJay Hansen
email: rha### [at] 2540dpif2scom
http://www.2540dpi.f2s.com

Josh English wrote:

> Try adding the smooth keyword to the heightfield object. Are you using water
> level?
>
> Josh
>
> pre### [at] printingincorporatedcom wrote:
>
> > I'm creating a scene with a mountain range in the background. I used
> > Photoshop and the airbrush tool to paint my height field file. When I
> > render it, there appear to be holes where triangles have been dropped in
> > the height field. I've tried it with the Photoshop file saved as a targa
> > and as a png file, but get the same results.
> >
> > I also have run blur filters on the Photoshop file several times to make
> > sure there were no random dark pixels in the white parts of the file
> > that would cause sudden drops in elevation.
> >
> > I've rendered this in both the Mac official version and in MegaMacPOV
> > and the results are identical. Any suggestions?
> >
> > By the way the height field file is 900 x 900 pixels.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > RJay Hansen
> > email: rha### [at] 2540dpif2scom
> > http//:www.2540dpi.f2s.com
>
> --
> Josh English
> eng### [at] spiritonecom
> "May your hopes, dreams, and plans not be destroyed by a few zeros."

Post a reply to this message

pre### [at] printingincorporatedcom  wrote:

> render it, there appear to be holes

Have you tried to move the camera a little bit?

       Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

pre### [at] printingincorporatedcom wrote:

> I'm creating a scene with a mountain range in the background. I used
> Photoshop and the airbrush tool to paint my height field file. When I
> render it, there appear to be holes where triangles have been dropped in
> the height field. I've tried it with the Photoshop file saved as a targa
> and as a png file, but get the same results.

As Thorsten mentioned, this is probably due to precision errors causing
rays to "fall through" the height field. Try moving the camera sideways
a little, or rotate the height field by a fraction of a degree.

Also, since this isn't a strictly Macintosh problem, it would probably
get a better response in povray.general.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message