POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems scaling media Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Problems scaling media (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jan Danielsson
Subject: Problems scaling media
Date: 23 May 1999 06:45:18
Message: <wnaqnavryffbasnyhaznvygryvnpbz.fc6zo00.pminews@news.povray.org>
Howdy, everyone!

I'm having problems scaling Media and keeping it visible.

I have an 'frame-object' which contains a media, It looks as I want it to.
When I try to create another instance of the object, scale it and translate
it a little bit the media doesn't show. The 'frame' is still there, but it's
interior (the media) is not visible. However, I know the media's there since
I can see it's shadow on the plane.

If that wasn't clear: Imagine declaring a big lamp which glows with the help
of media. Create an instance of the object in a scene, and surround the big
lamp with identical (but smaller) lamps. In my case everything works great,
except that the smaller lamps' medias don't glow.

Any ideas? Doesn't the glow in media scale? :-)

 /j

Post a reply to this message

If you are scaling the object smaller with media already defined in it
your going to need to scale the media larger(?) by a directly proportional
amount. ie. object {YourObject media {scale*2} scale/2} and the reverse is
also true, object {YourObject media {scale/2} scale*2}.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

>If you are scaling the object smaller with media already defined in it
>your going to need to scale the media larger(?) by a directly proportional
>amount. ie. object {YourObject media {scale*2} scale/2} and the reverse is
>also true, object {YourObject media {scale/2} scale*2}.

Hmmmmm... Strange. I'll try that.

Thanks for the reply!

 /j

Post a reply to this message

> >If you are scaling the object smaller with media already defined in it
> >your going to need to scale the media larger(?) by a directly proportional
> >amount. ie. object {YourObject media {scale*2} scale/2} and the reverse is
> >also true, object {YourObject media {scale/2} scale*2}.
>
> Hmmmmm... Strange. I'll try that.
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
>  /j

Media effects are created on a 'per unit distance' basis.
If you make the media smaller, you'll have to increase the density or
the rgb value.  Imaging looking through 1cm of glowing gas verus 1m of
the same gas.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message