POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Turbulence in a pigment_map Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:54:54 EDT (-0400)
  Turbulence in a pigment_map (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Uncle Josh
Subject: Turbulence in a pigment_map
Date: 7 Sep 2020 18:35:01
Message: <web.5f56b4fd9b5feb8a313019390@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to animate a burning effect on object. I tried both pigment map and
texture maps, but the turbulence applied to the outer texture is being applied
to the inner textures, which I don't want.

I thought this was possible, but my active working memory is a couple decades
old.

Sample:

#declare P_cells = pigment { cells scale 0.1 }
#declare P_fire = pigment { gradient x
                            pigment_map { [0.75 rgb 0 ] [0.8 red 1 ] } }
#declare P_clear = pigment { color rgbt 1 }

#declare T_cells = texture { pigment {P_cells} }
#declare T_fire = texture { pigment { P_fire } }
#declare T_clear = texture { pigment { P_clear } }

#declare Burning_Texture =
   texture {
       gradient x
       texture_map {
         [0.0 T_cells ] [0.7 T_cells ]
         [0.75 T_fire ] [0.8 T_clear ]
         }
       turbulence 0.2 // should only apply to the mapping
   } // end of texture

I've tried this with material maps and pigment maps. I've tried putting the
turbulence in a warp block, nothing works.

I thought this was possible to do. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Uncle Josh
Pontificating on the web since 1995

Post a reply to this message

Le 2020-09-07 à 18:32, Uncle Josh a écrit :
> I'm trying to animate a burning effect on object. I tried both pigment map and
> texture maps, but the turbulence applied to the outer texture is being applied
> to the inner textures, which I don't want.
>
> I thought this was possible, but my active working memory is a couple decades
> old.
>
> Sample:
>
> #declare P_cells = pigment { cells scale 0.1 }
> #declare P_fire = pigment { gradient x
>                              pigment_map { [0.75 rgb 0 ] [0.8 red 1 ] } }
> #declare P_clear = pigment { color rgbt 1 }
>
> #declare T_cells = texture { pigment {P_cells} }
> #declare T_fire = texture { pigment { P_fire } }
> #declare T_clear = texture { pigment { P_clear } }
>
> #declare Burning_Texture =
>     texture {
>         gradient x
>         texture_map {
>           [0.0 T_cells ] [0.7 T_cells ]
>           [0.75 T_fire ] [0.8 T_clear ]
>           }
>         turbulence 0.2 // should only apply to the mapping
>     } // end of texture
>
> I've tried this with material maps and pigment maps. I've tried putting the
> turbulence in a warp block, nothing works.
>
> I thought this was possible to do. Am I wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Uncle Josh
> Pontificating on the web since 1995

Did you try this variation ?
#declare Burning_Texture =
    texture {
        gradient x
        texture_map {
          [0.0 T_cells turbulence -0.2] [0.7 T_cells turbulence -0.2]
          [0.75 T_fire turbulence -0.2] [0.8 T_clear turbulence -0.2]
          }
        turbulence 0.2 // should only apply to the mapping
    } // end of texture

You may need to use warp{turbulence -0.2} and warp{turbulence 0.2} for
this to work properly.

Post a reply to this message

Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Le 2020-09-07 à 18:32, Uncle Josh a écrit :
> > I'm trying to animate a burning effect on object. I tried both pigment map and
> > texture maps, but the turbulence applied to the outer texture is being applied
> > to the inner textures, which I don't want.
> >
> > I thought this was possible, but my active working memory is a couple decades
> > old.
> >

> Did you try this variation ?
> #declare Burning_Texture =
>     texture {
>         gradient x
>         texture_map {
>           [0.0 T_cells turbulence -0.2] [0.7 T_cells turbulence -0.2]
>           [0.75 T_fire turbulence -0.2] [0.8 T_clear turbulence -0.2]
>           }
>         turbulence 0.2 // should only apply to the mapping
>     } // end of texture
>
> You may need to use warp{turbulence -0.2} and warp{turbulence 0.2} for
> this to work properly.

I did, but it generates an parse error. If I put the turbulence -0.2 in the
declaration for the T_cells texture or pattern, it does nothing, or it does two
bits of turbulence that don't even each other out.

Uncle Josh
Pontificating on the web since 1995

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to animate a burning effect on object. I tried both pigment map and
> texture maps, but the turbulence applied to the outer texture is being applied
> to the inner textures, which I don't want.

> I've tried this with material maps and pigment maps. I've tried putting the
> turbulence in a warp block, nothing works.
>
> I thought this was possible to do. Am I wrong?

Well, the turbulence only applies to the underlying pattern(s).  So what you
need to do is turbulate the pattern(s) that you want to layer on top.

#declare T_fire = texture { pigment { P_fire turbulence 0.2} }

The mapping applies to the gradient pattern, and if you want to turbulate the
mapping, then what you do is turbulate _that_ pattern, which the map applies to.

#declare Burning_Texture =
   texture {
       gradient x turbulence 0.2 ....

I'm not entirely understanding what you want to do, so I hope this helps
somewhat...

-Bill

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm trying to animate a burning effect on object. I tried both pigment map and
> > texture maps, but the turbulence applied to the outer texture is being applied
> > to the inner textures, which I don't want.
>

> > I've tried this with material maps and pigment maps. I've tried putting the
> > turbulence in a warp block, nothing works.
> >
> > I thought this was possible to do. Am I wrong?
>
> Well, the turbulence only applies to the underlying pattern(s).  So what you
> need to do is turbulate the pattern(s) that you want to layer on top.
>
> #declare T_fire = texture { pigment { P_fire turbulence 0.2} }
>
> The mapping applies to the gradient pattern, and if you want to turbulate the
> mapping, then what you do is turbulate _that_ pattern, which the map applies to.
>
> #declare Burning_Texture =
>    texture {
>        gradient x turbulence 0.2 ....
>
> I'm not entirely understanding what you want to do, so I hope this helps
> somewhat...
>

> -Bill

Ultimately the underlying T_cells texture is also subject to turbulence, even
when no turbulence is defined.

I need to find a way to not subject the T_cells texture to turbulence.

Uncle Josh
Pontificating on the web since 1995

Post a reply to this message

#declare P_cells = pigment { cells scale 0.1 }
#declare P_fire = pigment { gradient x turbulence 1.05
                            pigment_map {
                            [0.00 rgbt 1 ]
                            [0.75 rgbt 1 ]
                            [0.75 rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.25> ]
                            [0.75 rgbt <1, 0.5, 0, 0.25> ]
                            [0.75 rgbt <1, 1, 0, 0.25> ]
                            [1.00 rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.9> ] }
                            }

#declare T_cells = texture { pigment {P_cells} }
#declare T_fire = texture { pigment { P_fire } }

plane {z, 0 texture {T_cells} texture {T_fire}}

Post a reply to this message

> plane {z, 0 texture {T_cells} texture {T_fire}}

Not quite was I was going for, but after numerous searches I found Friedrich A.

After some tweaking:

#declare P_cells = pigment { cells scale 1/10 }
#declare dark_char = pigment { rgb 0 }
#declare ember = pigment { red 1 }
#declare P_clear = pigment { color rgbt 1 }

#declare Burning = texture {
pigment {
   pigment_pattern {
     planar
     rotate -90*z
     color_map { [0.1 White] [0.15 Black ] }
     scale 1
     turbulence .2
   }
   pigment_map {
     [ 0, P_cells ]
     [ 0.85, dark_char ]
     [ 0.90, ember ]
     [ 1, P_clear ]
   }
 }
} // Burning

The pigment_pattern is the solution I'm looking for.

Uncle Josh
Pontificating on the web since 1995

Post a reply to this message

> >           [0.0 T_cells turbulence -0.2] [0.7 T_cells turbulence -0.2]
> >           [0.75 T_fire turbulence -0.2] [0.8 T_clear turbulence -0.2]
> >           }
> >         turbulence 0.2 // should only apply to the mapping
> >     } // end of texture
> >
> > You may need to use warp{turbulence -0.2} and warp{turbulence 0.2} for
> > this to work properly.
>
> I did, but it generates an parse error. If I put the turbulence -0.2 in the
> declaration for the T_cells texture or pattern, it does nothing, or it does two
> bits of turbulence that don't even each other out.

I've likewise tried many times in the past to 'reverse' or 'un-do' turbulence
(in various ways), but it never worked. If it's even possible, a workable scheme
would be quite useful.

Post a reply to this message