POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mapping Textures on irregular shapes Server Time
23 Jun 2024 15:55:19 EDT (-0400)
  Mapping Textures on irregular shapes (Message 8 to 17 of 47)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Josh
Subject: Re: Mapping Textures on irregular shapes
Date: 23 Apr 2020 02:15:00
Message: <web.5ea1320b72e01857dc1270cd0@news.povray.org>
As a starting point, any advice to create a variety of textures something like
these?

https://opengameart.org/content/24-bigger-asteroids
https://opengameart.org/content/432-isometrics-rocks-and-asteroids

Josh

"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Ya, the more I look at it, the more I think just going for procedural textures
> with surface-dependent modifiers is a good idea. Any ideas of where I can go to
> look for examples of good looking rock / asteroid / metal / alien type textures
> or procedures for asteroids?
>
> Josh

> > Depending on the effect you're going for, it may be best to try a procedural
> > texture with some surface-dependent texture modifiers like AOI, slope, slope or
> > normal maps (not like the one you used for the game engine), etc.
> >

> > Now, maybe Jerome Grimbert might have a good idea about whether or not NURBS
> > allows you to model a shape from scratch AND get a uv-mapping function-of-sorts
> > as an incidental byproduct...
> >
> > Maybe post a sample asteroid shape and a sample or link(s) to the kind of thing
> > you're shooting for?  Folks may have some practical ideas.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Apr 2020 07:05:01
Message: <web.5ea1757a72e01857fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
"Josh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> As a starting point, any advice to create a variety of textures something like
> these?
>
> https://opengameart.org/content/24-bigger-asteroids
> https://opengameart.org/content/432-isometrics-rocks-and-asteroids

Those look pretty simple.
Glossy, so use something like specular and/or phong highlighting in the finish
{} block of the texture.

My personal standard reference for rocks is of course:

http://hof.povray.org/pebbles.html
http://xlcus.com/povray/pebbles/pebbles.pov

Which if you look at the actual texturing, is just using pretty stock POV-Ray
patterns properly paired with normals based on the same pigment pattern in the
right scale and orientation.

Which is why I shamelessly (and lazily) ripped off all that code to do this:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5d3c5fe27be432e04eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

:D

Once you get the idea, then you can look into setting up a basic marble pigment,
adding the turbulence, the modifiers that go with that, making an easily
adjustable color/pigment/texture/material map etc.

I'd say for rapid development, make a grid of asteroids like you've shown with a
nested loop and have each one be a little different, so you can look at a lot of
different variations with a single render.

http://f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/loop/povlup1e.htm

Post a reply to this message