POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thoughts and questions Server Time: 19 Oct 2017 10:49:01 GMT
  Thoughts and questions (Message 6 to 15 of 15)  
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 05:30:00
Message: <web.5995296af6e87b3a9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > Oooh.
> > And speaking of meshes:
> >
> > https://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/
> >
> That looks interesting-- a version of POV-Ray with built-in mesh subdivision.
> (Looks like it was based on v3.6, though?) I initially thought 'Loop's Scheme'
> was some kind of method or algorithm; but it's actually the name of the guy who
> throught it up! I've also been reading some of the technical papers referenced
> there (and the original university Math thesis on the subject.) Good stuff.
>
> Apparently the program download is just a different version of Pov-ray's
> 'pvengine' file, to be substituted for the standard one. I might get curious and
> try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)

Well, me too. Tried and failed, with both 3.7 and 3.6.

Apparently needs old editor DLL's, and MegaPOV seem to be the right ones after I
searched for answers about the error message.
Those DLL's are Cmax20.dll version 2.1.0.13 and Cmedit.dll version 3.5.0.0 that
I had here.

And although that will run the program with editor, there's no connection to the
povray.ini and/or file paths to the includes.
To check the example scenes I just added full path names, but that's only for
the scenes needing colors.inc, textures.inc...

Program freezes, "not responding", so had to close via Task Manager.
This being in Win10.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 06:42:49
Message: <59953ae9$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-8-2017 7:28, omniverse wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>> Oooh.
>>> And speaking of meshes:
>>>

Note that subdividing meshes (mesh or mesh2) can easily be done nowadays 
using Poseray. But you probably knew this already.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 07:05:01
Message: <web.59953f4ef6e87b3a883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> >>
> >> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> >>> Oooh.
> >>> And speaking of meshes:
> >>>
>
> Note that subdividing meshes (mesh or mesh2) can easily be done nowadays
> using Poseray. But you probably knew this already.
>

I didn't :-( :-(  I confess to not having had a need to use Poseray in a long
time (only because I've been concentrating on modelling solely within POV-Ray.)

Thanks for the info!


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 11:14:34
Message: <59957a9a$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-8-2017 9:01, Kenneth wrote:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>>>> Oooh.
>>>>> And speaking of meshes:
>>>>>
>>
>> Note that subdividing meshes (mesh or mesh2) can easily be done nowadays
>> using Poseray. But you probably knew this already.
>>
> 
> I didn't :-( :-(  I confess to not having had a need to use Poseray in a long
> time (only because I've been concentrating on modelling solely within POV-Ray.)
> 

I understand. I must say that I use Poseray /almost/ on a daily basis ;-)

> Thanks for the info!

My pleasure.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 11:47:47
Message: <59958263@news.povray.org>
On 8/17/2017 12:14 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 17-8-2017 9:01, Kenneth wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

>> I didn't :-( :-(  I confess to not having had a need to use Poseray in
>> a long
>> time (only because I've been concentrating on modelling solely within
>> POV-Ray.)
>>
>
> I understand. I must say that I use Poseray /almost/ on a daily basis ;-)
>

So do I but then we both use Poser models.




-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 17 Aug 2017 17:05:01
Message: <web.5995cc88f6e87b3a883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > That looks interesting-- a version of POV-Ray with built-in mesh subdivision.
> > [snip] I might get curious and
> > try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)
>
> Well, me too. Tried and failed, with both 3.7 and 3.6.
>

Too bad. Sounds like it turned into a thankless task. I appreciate your effort;
it saved me from 'going down the rabbit hole' likewise.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 18 Aug 2017 06:41:06
Message: <59968c02$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-8-2017 13:47, Stephen wrote:
> On 8/17/2017 12:14 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 17-8-2017 9:01, Kenneth wrote:
>>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> 
>>> I didn't :-( :-(  I confess to not having had a need to use Poseray in
>>> a long
>>> time (only because I've been concentrating on modelling solely within
>>> POV-Ray.)
>>>
>>
>> I understand. I must say that I use Poseray /almost/ on a daily basis ;-)
>>
> 
> So do I but then we both use Poser models.
> 

Yes, and I model most of my stuff in Silo.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 18 Aug 2017 11:55:01
Message: <web.5996d563f6e87b3ac437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> > "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > > That looks interesting-- a version of POV-Ray with built-in mesh subdivision.
> > > [snip] I might get curious and
> > > try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)
> >
> > Well, me too. Tried and failed, with both 3.7 and 3.6.
> >
>
> Too bad. Sounds like it turned into a thankless task. I appreciate your effort;
> it saved me from 'going down the rabbit hole' likewise.

Well, I brought it up because it looked interesting.
It's sad that neither of you could get it to work.
Maybe someone could compile it fresh from the supplied source code, or contact
the author - he might welcome the renewed interest.

I also came across:
http://news.povray.org/povray.unofficial.patches/thread/%3CXns900D79CAEseed7@povray.org%3E/

it would be nice if there were a lot more documentation of this kind of work so
that it could be developed into something that was robust enough in order to
make it into an official version.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 20 Aug 2017 21:15:23
Message: <5999fbeb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2017 um 04:35 schrieb Kenneth:

> Apparently the program download is just a different version of Pov-ray's
> 'pvengine' file, to be substituted for the standard one. I might get curious and
> try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)

I strongly recommend dropping it in a v3.6 installation. Dropping it in
a v3.7 installation will give you no benefits whatsoever, just a host of
problems (such as incompatible include files for starters).


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions
Date: 20 Aug 2017 22:30:00
Message: <web.599a0cb8f6e87b3a9edbcb250@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 17.08.2017 um 04:35 schrieb Kenneth:
>
> > Apparently the program download is just a different version of Pov-ray's
> > 'pvengine' file, to be substituted for the standard one. I might get curious and
> > try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)
>
> I strongly recommend dropping it in a v3.6 installation. Dropping it in
> a v3.7 installation will give you no benefits whatsoever, just a host of
> problems (such as incompatible include files for starters).

It was a no go for me and version 3.6, the latest one available anyway. Likewise
for version 3.5.
 Yet the program does render any scene without subdivision.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.