POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thoughts and questions : Re: Thoughts and questions Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:38:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thoughts and questions
From: omniverse
Date: 17 Aug 2017 01:30:00
Message: <web.5995296af6e87b3a9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Oooh.
> > And speaking of meshes:
> >
> > https://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/
> >
> That looks interesting-- a version of POV-Ray with built-in mesh subdivision.
> (Looks like it was based on v3.6, though?) I initially thought 'Loop's Scheme'
> was some kind of method or algorithm; but it's actually the name of the guy who
> throught it up! I've also been reading some of the technical papers referenced
> there (and the original university Math thesis on the subject.) Good stuff.
>
> Apparently the program download is just a different version of Pov-ray's
> 'pvengine' file, to be substituted for the standard one. I might get curious and
> try it out in some version of v3.7xx... to see what happens... ;-)

Well, me too. Tried and failed, with both 3.7 and 3.6.

Apparently needs old editor DLL's, and MegaPOV seem to be the right ones after I
searched for answers about the error message.
Those DLL's are Cmax20.dll version 2.1.0.13 and Cmedit.dll version 3.5.0.0 that
I had here.

And although that will run the program with editor, there's no connection to the
povray.ini and/or file paths to the includes.
To check the example scenes I just added full path names, but that's only for
the scenes needing colors.inc, textures.inc...

Program freezes, "not responding", so had to close via Task Manager.
This being in Win10.

Bob