POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Kenneth
Subject: 'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion
Date: 15 Jun 2017 16:25:00
Message: <web.5942ec27ca79b806883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Mosaic_Preview has two options that it works with, Preview_Start_Size and
Preview_End_Size. The documentation is clear about what they do. But the
'wording' of Preview_End_Size is kind of misleading, as to its function: the
render *continues* anyway, until every pixel is rendered (i.e., the 'end size'
is 1 pixel, when thought of this way, even if Preview_End_Size is set to 32, for
example.)

I do realize that the docs' meaning of 'preview' is... 'PRIOR to the final
every-pixel render.'  But I would like to suggest a change to the operation of
Preview_End_Size: that the render actually end when that pixel-size is reached.
My reasoning is this: If the idea is to do a quick blocky 'preview' of a render,
to see the scene in a rather gross way for quickly determining any problems,
then continuing to render down to a single pixel is 'overkill', IMO, for two
reasons. It kind of defeats the purpose of the gross preview; and it takes more
time to render (... the final pass...) if just a blocky preview is wanted.

My two-cents, anyway.

Post a reply to this message

> Mosaic_Preview has two options that it works with, Preview_Start_Size and
> Preview_End_Size. The documentation is clear about what they do. But the
> 'wording' of Preview_End_Size is kind of misleading, as to its function: the
> render *continues* anyway, until every pixel is rendered (i.e., the 'end size'
> is 1 pixel, when thought of this way, even if Preview_End_Size is set to 32, for
> example.)
>
> I do realize that the docs' meaning of 'preview' is... 'PRIOR to the final
> every-pixel render.'  But I would like to suggest a change to the operation of
> Preview_End_Size: that the render actually end when that pixel-size is reached.
> My reasoning is this: If the idea is to do a quick blocky 'preview' of a render,
> to see the scene in a rather gross way for quickly determining any problems,
> then continuing to render down to a single pixel is 'overkill', IMO, for two
> reasons. It kind of defeats the purpose of the gross preview; and it takes more
> time to render (... the final pass...) if just a blocky preview is wanted.

Well, there is manually stopping.  ;)

I'm only able to think an actual output image as preview would be the real need
for such a thing, unless the idea would also be to free the computer itself of
needless tasking on a long render.

At least that's how I'm seeing this. Interesting that preview was never made to
prevent a finished render, and maybe that was how it was originally thought
of... and I can imagine why. Just like the annoying (did I say that?! ignore me
there) message if rendering a long time and trying to stop it.  :)

Bob

Post a reply to this message