POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion : Re: 'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:55:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'mosaic preview' feature-- a suggestion
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Jun 2017 11:30:01
Message: <web.5943f8708ab98aa7883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> I'm only able to think an actual output image as preview would be the real need
> for such a thing [the way mosaic preview currently works]

Yes, there is that, I admit (although it's a *slow* way to make a final render.)
I can see that there might be two differing philosophies, about Preview_End_Size
continuing to the final 1-pixel render (as-is), or not.

Perhaps it's the phrase itself that bugs me. OR-- another thought-- mosaic
preview should logically have *3 options* instead of two:

1) Preview_Start_Size
2) Preview_Stop_Size (which is the current meaning of 'Preview_End_Size' but
without proceeding to a final 1-pixel render)
3) Preview_End_Size (for 'final' render; 1 or another chosen value.)

Leaving 3) out would make the render stop at 2).

Leaving 2) out would 'fall through' to 3)... and would cause 3) to default to
its present behavior (i.e., proceeding to a final 1-pixel render, for backward
compatibility, regardless of its 'new' feature of a chosen value.)

So far, I don't see a backwards-compatibility problem with this logic; but I
welcome comments from more astute observers ;-)