POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pipe_spline and color Server Time
16 May 2024 01:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  pipe_spline and color (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Alex
Subject: pipe_spline and color
Date: 28 Nov 2015 05:50:00
Message: <web.565986946f420569f6cc3ced0@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

Is anybody experienced with Chris Colefax' spline package? I am trying to
generate a spline that changes its width and color along the spline position in
a controlled manner. The spline will be much longer that thick, so using spheres
seems like a bad option. Using "spline.mcr" and reading the tutorial I found
that I can create a spline using tubes (which is much more efficient that
spheres in my case) with the following syntax:

#declare my_spline = create_spline (
                             array[4] {start_position,  // 1st point
                                       start_position + start_direction,
                                       end_position - end_direction,
                                       end_position},   // 2rnd point
                                       create_bezier_spline)

#macro spline_radius_function () sClock #end
union { pipe_spline (my_spline, spline_radius (1)) pigment {rgb <1, 0, 0>} }

....with arbitrary parameters 'start_position', 'start_direction',
'end_position', and 'end_direction'. This gives me the right shape but a uniform
color. I have been trying to vary the color (linearly) along the spline by
multiplying the rgb value with 'sClock' or similar, but this is not accepted in
the syntax. Anybody done this before or knows a solution?

Many thanks in advance,
Alex

Post a reply to this message

> Is anybody experienced with Chris Colefax' spline package? I am trying to
> generate a spline that changes its width and color along the spline position in
> a controlled manner. The spline will be much longer that thick, so using spheres
> seems like a bad option. Using "spline.mcr" and reading the tutorial I found
> that I can create a spline using tubes (which is much more efficient that
> spheres in my case) with the following syntax:
>
> #declare my_spline = create_spline (
>                               array[4] {start_position,  // 1st point
>                                         start_position + start_direction,
>                                         end_position - end_direction,
>                                         end_position},   // 2rnd point
>                                         create_bezier_spline)
>
> #macro spline_radius_function () sClock #end
> union { pipe_spline (my_spline, spline_radius (1)) pigment {rgb <1, 0, 0>} }
>
> ....with arbitrary parameters 'start_position', 'start_direction',
> 'end_position', and 'end_direction'. This gives me the right shape but a uniform
> color. I have been trying to vary the color (linearly) along the spline by
> multiplying the rgb value with 'sClock' or similar, but this is not accepted in
> the syntax. Anybody done this before or knows a solution?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Alex

You can use a gradient pattern. The only trick is orienting and scalling
it properly.
For the direction, you use the difference between the start and end points.
For the scalling, you use the distance between those points.
That way, the zero entry of the colour_map will be at one point and the
one at the other.
It can look like this:
gradient{
	abs(start_position-end_position)// direction vector
	colour_map{[0 rgb<1,0.5,0>][1 rgb<0,0,1>]}
	scale vlength(start_point-end_point)//make it fit
}

If your spline have an important curvature, it becomes more difficult.
You'll need to find the approximate center of the curve and the covered
angle. Then, using the radial pattern, use frequency and to adjust the
colour_map to the angle of the curve, then translate the pattern to the
center point.
This will involve a fair amount of trigonometry.

Alain

Post a reply to this message