POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pipe_spline and color : Re: pipe_spline and color Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:01:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pipe_spline and color
From: Alain
Date: 28 Nov 2015 19:50:26
Message: <565a4bd2$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi Alain
>
> Thanks for the solution you sketched. In principle, I am not afraid of extensive
> trigonometry. However, this will mean that I am doing something that is very
> simple in standard splines in a very elaborate way. My spline will indeed curve
> substantially and, what's more, I will repeat the spline in a number of
> geometries. If I follow your advice, I'll need to make it good enough to work in
> general cases.
>
> I was hoping that the spline package offers a one-line way to do this, and that
> I simply missed the syntax. For instance, there is a spline clock term in the
> package ("sClock"), but when I try utlilyzing it in the pigment definition, the
> term is not accepted. Can it be that I have not understood how term has to be
> defined?
>
> Best regards,
> Alex

Usualy, any variable containing "clock", with any form of
capitalisation, refer to the clock built in variable and is related to
animations.
Most of the case, you'll find something like:
#declare sClock = clock*Something;
or
#declare sClock = clock*Something+SomethingElse;

It can also be set to some user defined value. When used with splines,
it's usualy used to pick a specific point along the spline.