POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : large city models in povray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  large city models in povray (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: large city models in povray
Date: 24 Nov 2015 07:14:10
Message: <56545492$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.11.2015 um 11:29 schrieb christian:

> I have another question in this context. Is there a smart way to generate normal
> maps and depth maps in POV-Ray. Maybe I can use fog for the depth map?

I'd use an emission-only gradient pigment for depth maps.

For normal maps, you could use either the slope or aoi pattern as the
basis for one emission-only pigment per colour channel / axis, and mix
them via an average pattern. Alternatively, you could try using a plain
white pigment, and one parallel shadowless light source per colour
channel / axis.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.11.2015 um 11:29 schrieb christian:
>
> > I have another question in this context. Is there a smart way to generate normal
> > maps and depth maps in POV-Ray. Maybe I can use fog for the depth map?
>
> I'd use an emission-only gradient pigment for depth maps.
>
> For normal maps, you could use either the slope or aoi pattern as the
> basis for one emission-only pigment per colour channel / axis, and mix
> them via an average pattern. Alternatively, you could try using a plain
> white pigment, and one parallel shadowless light source per colour
> channel / axis.

Hmmm, at the moment i don't realy unterstand how this work. Maybe you can give
me an example?

Post a reply to this message

>> Am 24.11.2015 um 11:29 schrieb christian:
>>
>>> I have another question in this context. Is there a smart way to generate normal
>>> maps and depth maps in POV-Ray. Maybe I can use fog for the depth map?
>>
>> I'd use an emission-only gradient pigment for depth maps.
>>
>> For normal maps, you could use either the slope or aoi pattern as the
>> basis for one emission-only pigment per colour channel / axis, and mix
>> them via an average pattern. Alternatively, you could try using a plain
>> white pigment, and one parallel shadowless light source per colour
>> channel / axis.
>

> Hmmm, at the moment i don't realy unterstand how this work. Maybe you can give
> me an example?

For the depth map:

  pigment{gradient z color_map{[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1] scale
Farthest_object_distance - Nearest_object_distance}
  finish{emission 1 diffuse 0}
}
camera{...}

Remove all lights as they are not needed. Remove all textures from all
objects to only use the gradient.

For the normals, replace gradient z by aoi:

  pigment{aoi color_map{[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 0.5]}
finish{emission 1 diffuse 0}
}

Surfaces pointing directly toward the camera will use the zero value,
those pointing perpendicularly, or away, relative to the camera will use
the 0.5 entry.

Using 3 lights:
With all objects been plain white:
light_source{1000*x rgb<1,0,0> parallel point_at 0 shadowless}
//a red shadowless light straight to the right
light_source{1000*y rgb<0,1,0> parallel point_at 0 shadowless}
// a green shadowless light straight up
light_source{1000*z rgb<0,0,1> parallel point_at 0 shadowless}
//finaly, a blue one to the back
Place the camera along the <1,1,-1>*Distance or you can use
double_illuminate for all objects in the scene.

Alain