POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calculate this pixel first Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Calculate this pixel first (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: nico7550
Subject: Calculate this pixel first
Date: 4 May 2014 09:35:01
Message: <web.536641e783d52b4d4dc467600@news.povray.org>
Hi,

In order to have a better impression of speed and a faster overlook of the final
image, the last pass should render the pixel in a certain order.

During the first passes, Pov calculate a render weight of each pixels. The
render weights is determined by the cpu/memory/time needed to render. And on the
last pass, Pov render the pixels by weight order.

It's also a way to find rendering holes, where most of the time is consumed.

Did you think is a good idea ?

Cheers

Nico7550

Post a reply to this message

> During the first passes, Pov calculate a render weight of each pixels. The
> render weights is determined by the cpu/memory/time needed to render. And on the
> last pass, Pov render the pixels by weight order.

While it's in there figuring out how long a pixel needs to render, why
not just take home the pixel's final value and be done with it?  I don't
know if there's a clever way to determine ahead of time what a given ray
will encounter and need to do without actually chewing through things.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Post a reply to this message

> In order to have a better impression of speed and a faster overlook of the final
> image, the last pass should render the pixel in a certain order.
>
> During the first passes, Pov calculate a render weight of each pixels. The
> render weights is determined by the cpu/memory/time needed to render. And on the
> last pass, Pov render the pixels by weight order.
>
> It's also a way to find rendering holes, where most of the time is consumed.
>
> Did you think is a good idea ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nico7550

Interesting idea... But not doable without a huge render time cost.

"First pass" can only occurs during a render using radiosity. It's known
as pretrace steps and is used to collect radiosity data before the
rendering itself. It crutial to prevent artefacts.

Next, a "quick" pass before the render itself can't raly help in finding
the pixels that will need the more computation as that quick pass just
can't touch every pixels and follow all trace paths when there is any
reflection or refraction, and, if there is any media, compute that
media, and you need to know that in order to sort the pixels render time
weight.

Alain

Post a reply to this message