POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: pfefferk
Subject: Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation
Date: 16 Jan 2014 02:35:00
Message: <web.52d78aecc904bcaff8726d560@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone!

My field of research makes it necessary to build site-specific propagation
models for indoor wireless communication. Unfortunately - to my knowledge - no
open source raytracing engine currently exists.

Would it be possible to use POV-Ray to predict for example signal strength/delay
for an indoor scenario? If not, what would be necessary to achieve this?

Thank you all for your ideas!

Cheers,
Daniel

Post a reply to this message

> My field of research makes it necessary to build site-specific propagation
> models for indoor wireless communication. Unfortunately - to my knowledge - no
> open source raytracing engine currently exists.
>
> Would it be possible to use POV-Ray to predict for example signal strength/delay
> for an indoor scenario? If not, what would be necessary to achieve this?

I suspect that at the frequencies involved, the wavelike nature of the
electromagnetic radiation becomes too much of an issue to simulate its
propagation by means of raytracing. If that is the case, then POV-Ray is
a poor starting point for what you're trying to achieve.

Post a reply to this message

>> My field of research makes it necessary to build site-specific
>> propagation
>> models for indoor wireless communication. Unfortunately - to my
>> knowledge - no
>> open source raytracing engine currently exists.
>>
>> Would it be possible to use POV-Ray to predict for example signal
>> strength/delay
>> for an indoor scenario? If not, what would be necessary to achieve this?
>
> I suspect that at the frequencies involved, the wavelike nature of the
> electromagnetic radiation becomes too much of an issue to simulate its
> propagation by means of raytracing. If that is the case, then POV-Ray is
> a poor starting point for what you're trying to achieve.

In that case, a wave tank simulation could be a better tool.
Another possibility could be some acoustic propagation simulator.

Post a reply to this message

> > My field of research makes it necessary to build site-specific propagation
> > models for indoor wireless communication. Unfortunately - to my knowledge - no
> > open source raytracing engine currently exists.
> >
> > Would it be possible to use POV-Ray to predict for example signal strength/delay
> > for an indoor scenario? If not, what would be necessary to achieve this?
>
> I suspect that at the frequencies involved, the wavelike nature of the
> electromagnetic radiation becomes too much of an issue to simulate its
> propagation by means of raytracing. If that is the case, then POV-Ray is
> a poor starting point for what you're trying to achieve.

Yes, the wavelengths and therefore effects differ. What I am interested in is
whether POVray was written to support wave-length-based calculations and is
extensible in that direction.

I guess for a start it would be sufficient to ignore the phase information and
work only with magnitude. As the radiated wave passes through a concrete wall
for example, its power is reduced by 7 dB. The sum of power introduced by all
rays at a certain spot equals the simulated received power.

Does anyone know whether or how this could be achieved?
-- Daniel

Post a reply to this message