POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation : Re: Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:55:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Usage of Povray for Raytracing of Radio Wave Propagation
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 20 Jan 2014 09:52:37
Message: <52dd3835$1@news.povray.org>
On 20.01.2014 11:41, pfefferk wrote:

> Yes, the wavelengths and therefore effects differ. What I am interested in is
> whether POVray was written to support wave-length-based calculations and is
> extensible in that direction.

Not really. There are a few special places where wavelength is
considered (but mostly fake) to emulate refracted color effects.

> I guess for a start it would be sufficient to ignore the phase information and
> work only with magnitude. As the radiated wave passes through a concrete wall
> for example, its power is reduced by 7 dB. The sum of power introduced by all
> rays at a certain spot equals the simulated received power.

You could set up the transmitter as a light source and the receiver

you either need to model the light source as a bright emissive sphere
or enclose the camera in a double_illuminate'd sphere. Then overall
brightness of (hdr) image should be a kind of "magnitude".

Walls can be partially transparent to allow some light through.
Depending on whether the energy loss occurs at material boundary
or traversing material you can set a transparent pigment or a
fade_distance in the interior.

Diffuse reflection + radiosity could model indirect paths - this
is probably more appropriate than specular reflection + photons?

Of course the approximation may be poor because the light model
used does not reflect your true wave propagation. Also I must say
I never tried double_illuminate with radiosity, not sure this
actually has an effect there.