POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Sohcahtoa
Subject: Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
Date: 8 Mar 2013 01:10:08
Message: <web.51397fc86a8d59d3e138aa20@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I would think it would be easiest to convert each mass of different block types
> into a single mesh by mapping the corner vertices.  make each mass smaller than
> it has to be by some tolerance value.  The problem I see with this is changes in
> ior when going from water to air, it might make the blocks under the water
> render improperly.

I'm starting to consider doing this.

> One thing you could try is shifting water vertices down and outward, so that
> they pass a little under the surface of surrounding blocks.

I mentioned in another post in this thread that I found that if I offset every
other water box vertically by a tiny amount in a checkerboard-like fashion it
solves the artifact problem.

> Are you planning to model everything, or only the surface?  Your conversion
> files will be awfully large if you model everything.

I wrote a flood-fill type of algorithm that searches to only find the blocks
that are visible above the surface.  However, a 600x600 world still ends up with
over 600,000 blocks.  The POV file ends up taking over 15 minutes to parse.

Post a reply to this message

"Sohcahtoa" <kil### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> > I would think it would be easiest to convert each mass of different block types
> > into a single mesh by mapping the corner vertices.  make each mass smaller than
> > it has to be by some tolerance value.  The problem I see with this is changes in
> > ior when going from water to air, it might make the blocks under the water
> > render improperly.
>
> I'm starting to consider doing this.
>
> > One thing you could try is shifting water vertices down and outward, so that
> > they pass a little under the surface of surrounding blocks.
>
> I mentioned in another post in this thread that I found that if I offset every
> other water box vertically by a tiny amount in a checkerboard-like fashion it
> solves the artifact problem.
>
> > Are you planning to model everything, or only the surface?  Your conversion
> > files will be awfully large if you model everything.
>
> I wrote a flood-fill type of algorithm that searches to only find the blocks
> that are visible above the surface.  However, a 600x600 world still ends up with
> over 600,000 blocks.  The POV file ends up taking over 15 minutes to parse.

You could try breaking the file into several smaller files -- say 10x10 chunks
square?  Or more, if you're comfortable with it -- and render each one
separately via batch file.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message