POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge : Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
From: Sohcahtoa
Date: 8 Mar 2013 01:10:08
Message: <web.51397fc86a8d59d3e138aa20@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> I would think it would be easiest to convert each mass of different block types
> into a single mesh by mapping the corner vertices.  make each mass smaller than
> it has to be by some tolerance value.  The problem I see with this is changes in
> ior when going from water to air, it might make the blocks under the water
> render improperly.

I'm starting to consider doing this.

> One thing you could try is shifting water vertices down and outward, so that
> they pass a little under the surface of surrounding blocks.

I mentioned in another post in this thread that I found that if I offset every
other water box vertically by a tiny amount in a checkerboard-like fashion it
solves the artifact problem.

> Are you planning to model everything, or only the surface?  Your conversion
> files will be awfully large if you model everything.

I wrote a flood-fill type of algorithm that searches to only find the blocks
that are visible above the surface.  However, a 600x600 world still ends up with
over 600,000 blocks.  The POV file ends up taking over 15 minutes to parse.