POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layering detail textures Server Time
19 Mar 2024 04:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Layering detail textures (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Layering detail textures
Date: 9 Oct 2012 05:15:01
Message: <web.5073e9f7dae1fbb2d97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from individually
textured elements.

what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based on image
maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Any help on this would be appreciated.. I'd post code, but I'd like to debut the
finished object as a whole.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 09/10/12 11:10, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from
> individually textured elements.
>
> what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based
> on image maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

   You mean layering transparent textures onto the textured CSG isn't
working? ...I don't remember ever trying something like that, but my
"POV-Ray instinct" tells me it should work (well, perhaps with some
workaround).

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

> I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from individually
> textured elements.
>
> what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based on image
> maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

IIRC you cannot override (or add to) textures of subcomponents. If you
wish to layer textures you need to apply all textures on the same level.
In some situations this forces you to a less elegant solution.

Post a reply to this message

Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> On 09/10/12 11:10, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from
> > individually textured elements.
> >
> > what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based
> > on image maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
> >

>    You mean layering transparent textures onto the textured CSG isn't
> working? ...I don't remember ever trying something like that, but my
> "POV-Ray instinct" tells me it should work (well, perhaps with some
> workaround).
>
> --
> Jaime

it is not working.  The texture shows up on the untextured surfaces (such as
clipping surfaces from differences and intersections) but not on the textured
surfaces.

A quick search shows a post from 2008 requesting extension of the texturing
system to allow overlays:

http://news.povray.org/povray.pov4.discussion.general/thread/%3Cweb.4799def8e1857b77c150d4c10%40news.povray.org%3E/

apparently you can only layer textures over previously textured objects if the
object in question is a single primitive.

This makes it nearly impossible - or, at least, unnecessarily dificult - to do
complex textures on csg objects.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
A.D.B.