POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layering detail textures : Re: Layering detail textures Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:55:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layering detail textures
From: scott
Date: 10 Oct 2012 03:21:04
Message: <507521e0$1@news.povray.org>
> The reason the elements are individually textured is that, though they may use
> the same texture, the orientation of that texture is important w/r/t the
> individual object, and cannot be placed on the whole model.

Depending on how complex your CSG is, it might be possible to make a
copy of the whole CSG object (without textures) and make it marginally
larger than the original. Then you can apply a mainly transparent
texture with your decals applied.

It's not an ideal solution though, I've come up against that before when
making a wooden table where the top was made up of several different
bits of wood. In my case it was easy to add an additional transparent
object just above the surface, but in general it's not always that easy.

Personally I think it's counter-intuitive that a "texture" statement at
a higher level wouldn't act on *all* lower level objects (obviously
making them redundant if totally opaque). If I apply a translate, rotate
etc it acts on the whole thing, not only on sub-objects that haven't
been translated/rotated already.

If needed there should be a special flag to say "don't apply this
texture to sub-objects that are already textured".