POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half a cylinder (with open ends) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Half a cylinder (with open ends) (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Chaanakya
Subject: Half a cylinder (with open ends)
Date: 26 Jul 2012 09:20:01
Message: <web.5011437418f886087f523b7e0@news.povray.org>
Hey guys!

I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

- Chaanakya

Post a reply to this message

> I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
> using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
> I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
> plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
> transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?

Just make a difference of the cylinder and another cylinder with a slightly
smaller radius and which is a bit longer ther the first cylinder.

Post a reply to this message

> > I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
> > using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
> > I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
> > plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
> > transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?
>
> Just make a difference of the cylinder and another cylinder with a slightly
> smaller radius and which is a bit longer ther the first cylinder.

Thanks!  That lets me control the thickness of the resulting object.  How would
I cut it in half?

- Chaanakya

Post a reply to this message

> > > I was trying to create half of a hollow cylinder (both ends open).  I tried
> > > using CSG with an intersection, and that gave me a half a hollow cylinder, but
> > > I'd like to not have a plane on the end.  That is, I'd like essentially a curved
> > > plane (the side of the cylinder without the endcaps).  Is there some
> > > transformation I could use on, for example, a box to achieve this?
> >
> > Just make a difference of the cylinder and another cylinder with a slightly
> > smaller radius and which is a bit longer ther the first cylinder.
>
> Thanks!  That lets me control the thickness of the resulting object.  How would
> I cut it in half?
>
> - Chaanakya

This is a bit weird....the shell seems way too thick when I render this:

#version 3.6;
#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  max_trace_level 256
  ambient_light White
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location <10,0,0>
  look_at <0,0,0>
  //rotate <0,0,-clock*90>
}

light_source {
  <0,100,0>
  color White
}

plane {
  y, -10
  pigment { hexagon Green, White, Blue }
}

difference {
  cylinder { <-1,0,0>,<1,0,0>,1}
  cylinder { <-1.00003,0,0>,<1.00003,0,0>,0.99999999}
  pigment { color Red }
}

The shell should be barely visible, but it's quite thick.  Why?  Is it floating
point error?

- Chaanakya

Post a reply to this message

>>> Just make a difference of the cylinder and another cylinder with a slightly
>>> smaller radius and which is a bit longer ther the first cylinder.
>>
>> Thanks!  That lets me control the thickness of the resulting object.  How would
>> I cut it in half?
>>
>> - Chaanakya
>
> This is a bit weird....the shell seems way too thick when I render this:
>
> #version 3.6;
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> global_settings {
>    max_trace_level 256
>    ambient_light White
>    assumed_gamma 1.0
> }
>
> camera {
>    location <10,0,0>
>    look_at <0,0,0>
>    //rotate <0,0,-clock*90>
> }
>
> light_source {
>    <0,100,0>
>    color White
> }
>
> plane {
>    y, -10
>    pigment { hexagon Green, White, Blue }
> }
>
> difference {
>    cylinder { <-1,0,0>,<1,0,0>,1}
>    cylinder { <-1.00003,0,0>,<1.00003,0,0>,0.99999999}
>    pigment { color Red }
> }
>
> The shell should be barely visible, but it's quite thick.  Why?  Is it floating
> point error?

What you're seeing is just a perspective effect; change the camera
location to e.g. <10,3,0> and light source position to e.g. <100,100,0>
to better see what's goung on.

Post a reply to this message

> >> Thanks!  That lets me control the thickness of the resulting object.  How would
> >> I cut it in half?
> >>
> >> - Chaanakya
> >
> > This is a bit weird....the shell seems way too thick when I render this:
> >
> > #version 3.6;
> > #include "colors.inc"
> >
> > global_settings {
> >    max_trace_level 256
> >    ambient_light White
> >    assumed_gamma 1.0
> > }
> >
> > camera {
> >    location <10,0,0>
> >    look_at <0,0,0>
> >    //rotate <0,0,-clock*90>
> > }
> >
> > light_source {
> >    <0,100,0>
> >    color White
> > }
> >
> > plane {
> >    y, -10
> >    pigment { hexagon Green, White, Blue }
> > }
> >
> > difference {
> >    cylinder { <-1,0,0>,<1,0,0>,1}
> >    cylinder { <-1.00003,0,0>,<1.00003,0,0>,0.99999999}
> >    pigment { color Red }
> > }
> >
> > The shell should be barely visible, but it's quite thick.  Why?  Is it floating
> > point error?
>
> What you're seeing is just a perspective effect; change the camera
> location to e.g. <10,3,0> and light source position to e.g. <100,100,0>
> to better see what's goung on.

Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
(without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?

- Chaanakya

Post a reply to this message

>>> This is a bit weird....the shell seems way too thick when I render this:
>>>
>>> #version 3.6;
>>> #include "colors.inc"
>>>
>>> global_settings {
>>>     max_trace_level 256
>>>     ambient_light White
>>>     assumed_gamma 1.0
>>> }
>>>
>>> camera {
>>>     location <10,0,0>
>>>     look_at <0,0,0>
>>>     //rotate <0,0,-clock*90>
>>> }
>>>
>>> light_source {
>>>     <0,100,0>
>>>     color White
>>> }
>>>
>>> plane {
>>>     y, -10
>>>     pigment { hexagon Green, White, Blue }
>>> }
>>>
>>> difference {
>>>     cylinder { <-1,0,0>,<1,0,0>,1}
>>>     cylinder { <-1.00003,0,0>,<1.00003,0,0>,0.99999999}
>>>     pigment { color Red }
>>> }
>>>
>>> The shell should be barely visible, but it's quite thick.  Why?  Is it floating
>>> point error?
>>
>> What you're seeing is just a perspective effect; change the camera
>> location to e.g. <10,3,0> and light source position to e.g. <100,100,0>
>> to better see what's goung on.
>
> Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
> (without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?

Yes: Introduce a plane to the difference.

Note how the plane only "caps" the object at the resulting cuts, in this
case the walls of the tube. Before that, what you cut was a solid cylinder.

You need to think in terms of solid bodies (after all it's called CSG =
Constructive Solid Geometry): If you have a solid cylindrical object,
and a big planar tool to "disintegrate" part of it, your remaining
object will be a solid semi-cylinder. OTOH, if you have a solid
cylinder, use a cylindrical tool to "disintegrate" a cylindrical part at
its center (giving you a tube with a measurable wall thickness), and
then use that big planar tool, your remaining object will be a half-pipe
(with a measurable wall thickness).

Post a reply to this message

> > clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> >> What you're seeing is just a perspective effect; change the camera
> >> location to e.g. <10,3,0> and light source position to e.g. <100,100,0>
> >> to better see what's goung on.
> >
> > Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
> > (without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?
>
> Yes: Introduce a plane to the difference.
>
> Note how the plane only "caps" the object at the resulting cuts, in this
> case the walls of the tube. Before that, what you cut was a solid cylinder.
>
> You need to think in terms of solid bodies (after all it's called CSG =
> Constructive Solid Geometry): If you have a solid cylindrical object,
> and a big planar tool to "disintegrate" part of it, your remaining
> object will be a solid semi-cylinder. OTOH, if you have a solid
> cylinder, use a cylindrical tool to "disintegrate" a cylindrical part at
> its center (giving you a tube with a measurable wall thickness), and
> then use that big planar tool, your remaining object will be a half-pipe
> (with a measurable wall thickness).

Okay that makes sense.  Thank you so much clipka and warp! :)  You guys are
awesome :D

- Chaanakya

Post a reply to this message

> Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
> (without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?

Just a hint: maybe this is described in the manual...? It is really
worth reading and the writers have done a great job; they must feel
frustrated if their work is not appreciated or used...  ;-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message