POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half a cylinder (with open ends) : Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends)
From: Chaanakya
Date: 26 Jul 2012 11:30:01
Message: <web.50116179c440f4797f523b7e0@news.povray.org>
> On 26-7-2012 16:31, Chaanakya wrote:
>
> > Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
> > (without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?
> >

> Just a hint: maybe this is described in the manual...? It is really
> worth reading and the writers have done a great job; they must feel
> frustrated if their work is not appreciated or used...  ;-)
>
> Thomas

I did read the manual.  I think I didn't completely understand exactly how CSG
worked (and clipka cleared that up for me).  Maybe I didn't search thoroughly
enough.  I did find how to cut a sphere in half somewhere in the manual, and I
tried copying that at first.  I didn't realize that the reason the cylinder
looked solid was because of other issues (not cutting the second cylinder out
properly).  Also, the example given in the manual with the hemisphere uses an
intersection, and the eventual solution here used a difference.  Yes, it's
pretty much the same thing, but as I said, I didn't really understand how CSG
worked.  I've actually been using the manual pretty heavily ;)