POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D Animation/Camera question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  3D Animation/Camera question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Carl
Subject: 3D Animation/Camera question
Date: 1 Nov 2010 00:15:01
Message: <web.4cce3e5ee39d025c8276e01c0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

   I want to make a 3D animation.  Each frame will be two images, one for the
left eye and one for the right eye.  The two images will appear side-by-side and
when you look through your monitor you'll see the 3D image in the middle.

   I know how to render half of each frame in POV-Ray by itself and I can then
combine the two images in paint or other image editor making each frame one at a
time.  But that is too manual a process as I want to make several hundred
frames.  Any way to do this directly in POV-Ray?  I'd like to be able to specify
two cameras one for each eye and then have the image from each camera fill their
respective half of the total frame.

   Any ideas?  With these new 3D TVs/monitors can POV-Ray render a 3D image that
can be see on these?  If not I hope that is something in the works.

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message

El Mon, 01 Nov 2010 00:13:18 -0400, Carl escribió:

>    I want to make a 3D animation.  Each frame will be two images, one
>    for the
> left eye and one for the right eye.  The two images will appear
> side-by-side and when you look through your monitor you'll see the 3D
> image in the middle.
>
>    I know how to render half of each frame in POV-Ray by itself and I
>    can then
> combine the two images in paint or other image editor making each frame
> one at a time.  But that is too manual a process as I want to make
> several hundred frames.  Any way to do this directly in POV-Ray?  I'd
> like to be able to specify two cameras one for each eye and then have
> the image from each camera fill their respective half of the total
> frame.

  You're lucky: the new mesh camera on beta 39 allows this and much more.
Take a look at the included examples (scenes->camera->mesh_camera): there
is a very rough example on how to create a stereo camera with it.

  Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

On 11/01/2010 05:16 AM, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> El Mon, 01 Nov 2010 00:13:18 -0400, Carl escribió:
>

>>    I want to make a 3D animation.  Each frame will be two images, one
>>    for the
>> left eye and one for the right eye.  The two images will appear
>> side-by-side and when you look through your monitor you'll see the 3D
>> image in the middle.
>>
>>    I know how to render half of each frame in POV-Ray by itself and I
>>    can then
>> combine the two images in paint or other image editor making each frame
>> one at a time.  But that is too manual a process as I want to make
>> several hundred frames.  Any way to do this directly in POV-Ray?  I'd
>> like to be able to specify two cameras one for each eye and then have
>> the image from each camera fill their respective half of the total
>> frame.
>>

>   You're lucky: the new mesh camera on beta 39 allows this and much more.
> Take a look at the included examples (scenes->camera->mesh_camera): there
> is a very rough example on how to create a stereo camera with it.
>
>   Regards,

you can also see the mesh camera documentation here:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Contents

just look for (browser find) 2.3.1.2.3

Post a reply to this message

From: Charles C
Date: 1 Nov 2010 10:10:01
Message: <web.4ccec99b1091172acac4259f0@news.povray.org>
You can also use an "image_map" pigment to apply each view to side by side
rectangular surfaces in a new animated scene.  This new scene does your
post-processing for you.  Point an appropriately sized orthographic camera at
the side by side surfaces.  Use ambient 1 and no lights.  Use SDL string
functions like "concat()" to select related files for each frame.

Charles

Post a reply to this message

From: Carl
Date: 9 Nov 2010 07:50:01
Message: <web.4cd9434d1091172a8276e01c0@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>   You're lucky: the new mesh camera on beta 39 allows this and much more.
> Take a look at the included examples (scenes->camera->mesh_camera): there
> is a very rough example on how to create a stereo camera with it.

Thanks.  This camera works great for stills.  However so far with animations it
stops after the first frame with an "unknown internal error".  Any ideas?

When it stops it opens up the quickres.ini file.  Is there something in the
below that this stero camera doesn't like?

[2400x1200, Ani]
Width=2400
Height=1200
Jitter=Off
Initial_Frame = 1
Final_Frame = 40
Subset_Start_Frame = 3
Subset_End_Frame = 40

At the moment I've just been adding 1 to the Subset_Start_Frame parameter and
starting things again and it goes well until that frame is finished and stops
again.

Thanks,
Carl